1stCavDiv (Airmobile)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate to the 229th
Warthog Axis Setup for F5E Pixel

Archived Forum! Click here to View

Latest topics
» Application-Zeek
Warthog Axis Setup for F5E EmptyFri 05 Mar 2021, 03:34 by (A/229) Zeek

» Announcing the 229th Wiki Page
Warthog Axis Setup for F5E EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021, 14:17 by (B/229) Sundog

» Application - Coach
Warthog Axis Setup for F5E EmptySat 30 Jan 2021, 19:42 by (A/229) Spooky

» Happy new year!
Warthog Axis Setup for F5E EmptyWed 06 Jan 2021, 21:48 by (A/229) Spooky

» Fall 2020 Promition List
Warthog Axis Setup for F5E EmptyWed 30 Dec 2020, 10:20 by (C/229) Wallaby

» Application
Warthog Axis Setup for F5E EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 03:06 by (A/229) Cactus

» Mission Night
Warthog Axis Setup for F5E EmptyFri 16 Oct 2020, 19:51 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» KA 50 Training 13 OCT 2020 2000 CDT
Warthog Axis Setup for F5E EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020, 18:34 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» New applicant
Warthog Axis Setup for F5E EmptySat 10 Oct 2020, 03:45 by (A/229) Gator

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Warthog Axis Setup for F5E

4 posters

Go down

Warthog Axis Setup for F5E Empty Warthog Axis Setup for F5E

Post by (A/229) BBall Sun 26 Mar 2017, 20:04

Hey guys!

For the F-5E Tiger II "experten"...

I'm getting back into flying the F-5E, and for the life of me, I can't seem to get my TM Warthog joystick setup where the bloody thing doesn't seem to be FAR TOO pitch sensitive. It's driving me crazy (or crazy-ER)! Very Happy

Under "Axis Commands" (SIM obviously), "Axis Tune", how do you have your Joy Y (and Joy X...although I'm pretty happy with the roll feelings) set up? (particularly if you're using a TM Warthog)

Curve?
Saturation?
Deadzone?

I started the new "Aggressors ACM Campaign" by Maple Flag last week, and it's pretty damned good (IMHO). Lots of supporting docs, and/or voice overs...tons of fun (only on mission 2). I'd just like to get my joystick set to the point whereby I don't want to kill baby bunnies by the time I recover back to Nellis....

(A/229) BBall
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : since 1973? are you kidding me? oh, you mean FLIGHT SIM flights!
Killed In Action: : is a zillion too many times?
Slick No. of landings: : you mean the ones I walked away from?
CAS Tanks destroyed: : not many.
CAS Vehicules destroyed: : more than the tanks.
CAS Bunkers destroyed: : have no idea! were they selling beer there?

Back to top Go down

Warthog Axis Setup for F5E Empty Re: Warthog Axis Setup for F5E

Post by (B/229) IJammer Mon 27 Mar 2017, 12:41

Chic knows all about custom axis adjustments... he helped me out big time with a custom set on the Huey. Their were hidden control parameters that I did'nt even know existed... catch up with chic and twist his arm Smile
(B/229) IJammer
(B/229) IJammer
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Chic Mon 27 Mar 2017, 16:41

As much as I appreciate it, I'm afraid IJammer is too easily impressed.  
I have managed, at least to my liking, to desensitize collective and cyclic inputs on the rotaries by flattening the "business" range of the controller without sacrificing the range limits.  This is done with the custom curve tool in DCS axis tuning.   Unfortunately, I have no experience with fixed wing A/C, much less the F-5, so I can't make any specific rec.   If there is a specific zone of the control input that is problematic then this tool may help.
Step one of course is checking your calibrations in windows (no offense intended).
Maybe have closer look some night on TS.

(A/229) Chic
Captain
Company Commander
Unit Training Officer
Rated Senior Aviator
Captain Company Commander  Unit Training Officer Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (D/229) Hammer Mon 27 Mar 2017, 19:51

How exactly is it pitch sensitive? I fly the F-5 quite a bit and I find the handling to be pretty easy...plus Im using the TM setup too. I do know you need 6 degrees of nose up trim and raise the nose strut on takeoff, but other than that...
(D/229) Hammer
(D/229) Hammer
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : Lots
Killed In Action: : Lots more
Slick No. of landings: : all of them

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) BBall Mon 27 Mar 2017, 20:11

Thanks guys!

Yeah, Chic, me thinks I'm going to go back and start with Windows (not that Bill Gates has EVER been responsible for frustration in my life...lol). I've been busier than a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest lately, so my flight sim time has been rather few and far between. Next time I'm on TS, we'll chat and I'll let you know what I figure out.

Utley...I actually really like the little Tiger II, it's got it's "quirks", but all in all, I'm having a blast with it (with one exception obviously). Hard to describe, but after 40 years (and almost 30K flight hours), I figure I might have a bit of a handle on how an airplane "should" feel in terms of the pitch sensitivity (caveat..."0" flight time in an F-5E or T-38), but IMHO, it simply seems to be far too responsive to the smallest inputs in the pitch axis (very small input by me, LARGE movement of the nose of the machine). Trimming is a bit of nightmare also. Small "tweak" on the pitch trim (I have it mapped to the "HAT SWTICH" on the joystick), and again FAR more movement of the nose than I want (or it should do). I've tried the curve adjustment, deadzone (knowing that DZ wouldn't affect the nose movement once it begins...but hey...I was desparate), and the "saturation"...all to no avail (although I will admit, I'm not 100% what saturation actually does).

So far...nothing seems to reduce the sensitivity of the pitch movement. (I will say that I do set the trim for T/O according to the training vids, and also use the "wheelie switch" Smile upon taxiing onto the active runway for launch).

Again, I'm going to investigate more starting with Windows...but my other "fixed wing" A/C seem to be fine. The mystery continues...(aren't flight sims fun?)

Thanks again for the input fellas!
(A/229) BBall
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : since 1973? are you kidding me? oh, you mean FLIGHT SIM flights!

Back to top Go down

Post by (D/229) Hammer Mon 27 Mar 2017, 20:33

I only mention that because the F-5 is relatively as twitchy of an aircraft as an F-16...probably why its still a trainer in the air force for people graduating to F-16s or better.

Honestly though, all of the aircraft I fly with the warthog, the nose is twitchy as hell and it has something to do with the amount of play the joystick has naturally. If you've ever pulled the stick apart, you would see the stick rests on 4 posts that arent cylindrical shaped but tapered. This is actually one of the main reasons why the warthog has a big centering spring, to reduce the amount of play when its centered. There really isnt a fix to that unfortunately...if they were cylindrical shaped, the stick wouldnt be able to move at all and it would just jam up. As for the trim hat, I think the increments in game are a little higher than they should be and could be edited in the lua files somewhere. Ive not tried it at all so I dont know where to look at. You can try to disassemble your stick partially and tighten those 4 posts to see if that helps, they always come loose on me. Just remove the base plate, open up the bottom and you will see 4 phillips head screws at 90 degree intervals. One of them is underneath a circuit board. You will need to take the bezel off the top of the stick too and keep another phillips head screwdriver on the 4 screws there to keep the post from turning as you tighten them.
(D/229) Hammer
(D/229) Hammer
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : Lots
Killed In Action: : Lots more
Slick No. of landings: : all of them

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) BBall Mon 27 Mar 2017, 21:23

THANKS!

I just might have to give that a look-see!

Very Happy
(A/229) BBall
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down