1stCavDiv (Airmobile)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate to the 229th
Setting up the X-55 Throttle Slider Button to Act as a "Push for Talk" Control for TeamSpeak Pixel

Archived Forum! Click here to View

Latest topics
» Application-Zeek
Setting up the X-55 Throttle Slider Button to Act as a "Push for Talk" Control for TeamSpeak EmptyFri 05 Mar 2021, 03:34 by (A/229) Zeek

» Announcing the 229th Wiki Page
Setting up the X-55 Throttle Slider Button to Act as a "Push for Talk" Control for TeamSpeak EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021, 14:17 by (B/229) Sundog

» Application - Coach
Setting up the X-55 Throttle Slider Button to Act as a "Push for Talk" Control for TeamSpeak EmptySat 30 Jan 2021, 19:42 by (A/229) Spooky

» Happy new year!
Setting up the X-55 Throttle Slider Button to Act as a "Push for Talk" Control for TeamSpeak EmptyWed 06 Jan 2021, 21:48 by (A/229) Spooky

» Fall 2020 Promition List
Setting up the X-55 Throttle Slider Button to Act as a "Push for Talk" Control for TeamSpeak EmptyWed 30 Dec 2020, 10:20 by (C/229) Wallaby

» Application
Setting up the X-55 Throttle Slider Button to Act as a "Push for Talk" Control for TeamSpeak EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 03:06 by (A/229) Cactus

» Mission Night
Setting up the X-55 Throttle Slider Button to Act as a "Push for Talk" Control for TeamSpeak EmptyFri 16 Oct 2020, 19:51 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» KA 50 Training 13 OCT 2020 2000 CDT
Setting up the X-55 Throttle Slider Button to Act as a "Push for Talk" Control for TeamSpeak EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020, 18:34 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» New applicant
Setting up the X-55 Throttle Slider Button to Act as a "Push for Talk" Control for TeamSpeak EmptySat 10 Oct 2020, 03:45 by (A/229) Gator

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Setting up the X-55 Throttle Slider Button to Act as a "Push for Talk" Control for TeamSpeak

3 posters

Go down

Setting up the X-55 Throttle Slider Button to Act as a "Push for Talk" Control for TeamSpeak Empty Setting up the X-55 Throttle Slider Button to Act as a "Push for Talk" Control for TeamSpeak

Post by (A/229) Bearfoot Wed 29 Jun 2016, 16:46

As I learned, a bunch of excitable Lab/Weimaraner/Mutt dogs running around barking when they hear me talking to apparently nobody do not make for ideal conditions when online with voice-activated TeamSpeak. I figured out how to use the (otherwise useless, IMHO, due to the odd way it operates) thumb slider on the X-55 throttle to serve as a "push-to-talk" control for TeamSpeak, and thought I would share in case other folks would like to do something like this, dogs or not.

I. In TeamSpeak
   -   Select a suitable unique key combination, e.g., "Right Windows Key + Application Key" or "LCtrl + LAlt + RCtrl + RAlt"

II. In Saitek's/Mad Catz's configuration:
   -   Select the "Advanced Command" under the Slider Button.
   -   In "Press", press and release the key combination sequence selected above (e.g., "Right Windows Key + Application Key" or "LCtrl + LAlt + RCtrl + RAlt")
   -   For each key in the your key combination sequence, there should be two icons: one when the key is pressed and one when the key is released. Select the icons for when the key is released individually and delete them. So, for e.g, if you used "Right Windows Key + Application Key", you should see:  [Right Windows] [Application] [Right Windows] [Application]. The first pair of these are the keys being pressed, while the latter pair are the keys being released. Delete the latter pair, so that *only* the key sequence combination being pressed is emulated.

Now, pushing the slider forward emulates the key sequence being pressed and held, and pushing the slider backwards emulates emulates the keys being released.

(A/229) Bearfoot

Back to top Go down

Setting up the X-55 Throttle Slider Button to Act as a "Push for Talk" Control for TeamSpeak Empty Re: Setting up the X-55 Throttle Slider Button to Act as a "Push for Talk" Control for TeamSpeak

Post by (B/229) Blade Wed 29 Jun 2016, 20:59

Isn't it even more simple to make the slider into two bands, and for the upper band you give your TS PTT hotkey as a standard "New keypresses..." (like you would hold it on a keyboard, while the slider is within this band), and for the lower band assigning nothing? Wink

On my X-52 the thumb slider is the throttle. If it's an analog axis, why waste it for a keypress function? Neutral

(B/229) Blade
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Setting up the X-55 Throttle Slider Button to Act as a "Push for Talk" Control for TeamSpeak Empty Re: Setting up the X-55 Throttle Slider Button to Act as a "Push for Talk" Control for TeamSpeak

Post by (A/229) Bearfoot Wed 29 Jun 2016, 21:05

Because the thumb slider on the X-55 is wonky.

It is not actually an analog switch, but a discrete one. You can set it either in the forward position or the backward position. But games like DCS etc., ONLY register it being pushed forward. Pushing backward registers nothing. Furthermore, pushing forward looks to DCS as a momentary action, even it is continued to held in the forward position. So within DCS you can assign its forward press to a single action, but it is not quite the same as holding a button down (e.g., you cannot assign it the equivalent of "forward long", or "forward and held down").

I use the band-method you decide with the thumb rotary to emulate the boat switch. You are right, that it would be easy to adopt this to emulate the push-to-talk .... but the thumb slider is so useless and the rotaries are far more useful in so many ways, that the thumb slider makes more sense to assign the push-to-talk in the way I descibe Smile

(A/229) Bearfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Blade Thu 30 Jun 2016, 06:30

Sorry, I assumed the slider is the same as on my X-52 (which is definitely an analog slider). One more reason to me feeling happy with my X-52 (no sarcasm meant)... Can't you assign "New keypresses..." to the forward position via Saitek SST programming software either?

(B/229) Blade
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Bearfoot Thu 30 Jun 2016, 14:01

(B/229) Blade wrote:Sorry, I assumed the slider is the same as on my X-52 (which is definitely an analog slider). One more reason to me feeling happy with my X-52 (no sarcasm meant)... Can't you assign "New keypresses..." to the forward position via Saitek SST programming software either?

The method I describe does that ... but with the added complication of having the key press being held for as long as the switch is in the forward position.

The X-55 throttle is decent ... and, actually, in terms of functionality, I think, better than the Warthog (scandal! outrage! disbelief!), with more rotaries (always useful). The slider is one of the three misses IMHO, just pretty useless in design. More functionality would be available if they just made it even a single-position toggle so that it could be held in the on position. ... Or an actual slider!! The next most useless in design is that pinky scroll wheel, which actually is just another push-button-that-cannot-be-held-down disguised as a scroll wheel. But because, unlike the slider, you do not need to retract it to send another push, it is a little more useful. The mouse nipple is the third worst design --- mushy and imprecise. But serviceable. In the X-56 they have fixed it, I hear.

(A/229) Bearfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by (D/229) Hammer Thu 30 Jun 2016, 15:30

(A/229) Bearfoot wrote:
(B/229) Blade wrote:Sorry, I assumed the slider is the same as on my X-52 (which is definitely an analog slider). One more reason to me feeling happy with my X-52 (no sarcasm meant)... Can't you assign "New keypresses..." to the forward position via Saitek SST programming software either?

The method I describe does that ... but with the added complication of having the key press being held for as long as the switch is in the forward position.

The X-55 throttle is decent ... and, actually, in terms of functionality, I think, better than the Warthog (scandal! outrage! disbelief!), with more rotaries (always useful). The slider is one of the three misses IMHO, just pretty useless in design. More functionality would be available if they just made it even a single-position toggle so that it could be held in the on position. ... Or an actual slider!!  The next most useless in design is that pinky scroll wheel, which actually is just another push-button-that-cannot-be-held-down disguised as a scroll wheel. But because, unlike the slider, you do not need to retract it to send another push, it is a little more useful. The mouse nipple is the third worst design --- mushy and imprecise. But serviceable. In the X-56 they have fixed it, I hear.
Functionality is great. FWIW though its still MadKatz. Its bound to have issues sooner or later.
(D/229) Hammer
(D/229) Hammer
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : Lots
Killed In Action: : Lots more
Slick No. of landings: : all of them

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Bearfoot Thu 30 Jun 2016, 15:33

(A/229) Utley wrote:
Functionality is great. FWIW though its still MadKatz. Its bound to have issues sooner or later.

No doubt. Hoping it will hold out for a couple more years until VKB releases their throttle quadrant. Smile

(A/229) Bearfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by (D/229) Hammer Thu 30 Jun 2016, 16:26

You know, I saw a great cyclic/collective combination on Amazon just recently (or on PChelicopters) that looked very promising. Thats actually what it was - a cyclic anc collective in a single piece setup. Ill see if I can find it again, I might want to get one myself.
(D/229) Hammer
(D/229) Hammer
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : Lots
Killed In Action: : Lots more
Slick No. of landings: : all of them

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down