1stCavDiv (Airmobile)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate to the 229th
DEBRIEF: Airmobile Event #2 Pixel

Archived Forum! Click here to View

Latest topics
» Application-Zeek
DEBRIEF: Airmobile Event #2 EmptyFri 05 Mar 2021, 03:34 by (A/229) Zeek

» Announcing the 229th Wiki Page
DEBRIEF: Airmobile Event #2 EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021, 14:17 by (B/229) Sundog

» Application - Coach
DEBRIEF: Airmobile Event #2 EmptySat 30 Jan 2021, 19:42 by (A/229) Spooky

» Happy new year!
DEBRIEF: Airmobile Event #2 EmptyWed 06 Jan 2021, 21:48 by (A/229) Spooky

» Fall 2020 Promition List
DEBRIEF: Airmobile Event #2 EmptyWed 30 Dec 2020, 10:20 by (C/229) Wallaby

» Application
DEBRIEF: Airmobile Event #2 EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 03:06 by (A/229) Cactus

» Mission Night
DEBRIEF: Airmobile Event #2 EmptyFri 16 Oct 2020, 19:51 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» KA 50 Training 13 OCT 2020 2000 CDT
DEBRIEF: Airmobile Event #2 EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020, 18:34 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» New applicant
DEBRIEF: Airmobile Event #2 EmptySat 10 Oct 2020, 03:45 by (A/229) Gator

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

DEBRIEF: Airmobile Event #2

+4
(D/229) Xtra
(HHC/229) flyer
(HHC/229) GunfighterSIX
(A/229) Chuck
8 posters

Go down

DEBRIEF: Airmobile Event #2 Empty DEBRIEF: Airmobile Event #2

Post by (A/229) Chuck Sun 23 Aug 2015, 21:32

Ok, I'd like to have some input on how it went for you guys.

Beginning was a bit tough to organize, but overall I think that before the server crash we did a good job overall. Very few people crashed... for a 30-people event!!!

(A/229) Chuck

Back to top Go down

DEBRIEF: Airmobile Event #2 Empty Re: DEBRIEF: Airmobile Event #2

Post by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX Mon 24 Aug 2015, 01:00

Crawl, walk, run. Night missions requiring ship operations is in the sprint phase. Great to see that many helicopters flying though. I think some of our guys had issues with the chaos that comes with that many people from all those different groups flying together.
(HHC/229) GunfighterSIX
(HHC/229) GunfighterSIX
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Battalion Standardization Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4  Battalion Standardization Instructor PilotRated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) flyer Mon 24 Aug 2015, 01:07

Chuck...although I didn't attend (and for that I apologize....again), but the confusion and uncertainty that was evident, is very real world. A mission of the size creates it's on complexities and it is common for the confusion that some (not all) had is perfectly normal...as Six said you gatta walk before you can run...but your on the right path my friend.
(HHC/229) flyer
(HHC/229) flyer
Major
S1
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Major S1 Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX Mon 24 Aug 2015, 01:19

(HHC/229) flyer wrote:but your on the right path my friend.

It is really great how you are bring the DCS helicopter community together to fly your missions.
(HHC/229) GunfighterSIX
(HHC/229) GunfighterSIX
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Battalion Standardization Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4  Battalion Standardization Instructor PilotRated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (D/229) Xtra Mon 24 Aug 2015, 05:37

Too bad about the server crash and the trolls on TS. Keep it up Chuck!
(D/229) Xtra
(D/229) Xtra
Major
Company Commander
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Major Company Commander Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) Strut Mon 24 Aug 2015, 07:10

Well done and thanks your efforts Chuck !
(HHC/229) Strut
(HHC/229) Strut
Major
Battalion XO
Rated Senior Aviator
Major Battalion XO Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Chuck Mon 24 Aug 2015, 08:44

(HHC/229) GunfighterSIX wrote:Crawl, walk, run.  Night missions requiring ship operations is in the sprint phase.  Great to see that many helicopters flying though.  I think some of our guys had issues with the chaos that comes with that many people from all those different groups flying together.    

Yeah the concept of having an ATC would be very interesting in the near future. I ended up having to coordinate all flights while flying and coordinating my own guys. I'm a good multitasker but at the end of the first leg I was exhausted with all the mental effort required to talk-think-talk-fly-and-talk-some-more. It's definitely a one-man (if not a two-man) full-time job. How I managed to do that is something I don't understand. bounce

Some online campaigns like Storm of War make good use of ground controllers to coordinate air assets and guide them to target or intercept vectors. For events featuring more than 10 aircraft it would be quite useful to have someone on the ground doing a similar task.

(HHC/229) flyer wrote:Chuck...although I didn't attend (and for that I apologize....again), but the confusion and uncertainty that was evident, is very real world.  A mission of the size creates it's on complexities and it is common for the confusion that some (not all) had is perfectly normal...as Six said you gatta walk before you can run...but your on the right path my friend.

Your absence was duly noted! santa But in all seriousness I could tell a lot of people were confused. It was night time, there were 30+ helicopters buzzing around... I think it's almost a miracle we made it off the ground in an orderly fashion. Most of the flight leads were experienced though and they did a top job. Events like that only succeed if proper leadership is in place in my experience. I'm sure you can confirm the same with real life operations.

(D/229) Xtra wrote:Too bad about the server crash and the trolls on TS. Keep it up Chuck!

Next time we'll set a password for that particular teamspeak channel. That'll get rid of the trolls. Smile ATAG_Striker deserves many thanks for his help.

Other remarks: I received a couple of PMs after the flight, some of them praising the 229th's performance during the event. The terms that often came back are "professionalism", "skill" and "ungodly amounts of fun", something that IMHO the 229th is all about from what I experienced. Even if the server crashed after we landed at FARP HOPE, we really put on a bloody good show.

(A/229) Chuck

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) NeF Mon 24 Aug 2015, 09:05

30 + helicopters? wow...
(B/229) NeF
(B/229) NeF
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Rated Senior Aviator

Killed In Action: : At least a six pack

Back to top Go down

Post by (D/229) Xtra Mon 24 Aug 2015, 09:49

Yeah was spectating the twitch from sniporbob during the departure to the farp. Looked pretty awesome. Are you sure the server did not crash because of a changed script or mission item. Maybe dabomb can see a log history of the server. Did not notice any hickups or severe lag, looked like the server handled pretty well.
(D/229) Xtra
(D/229) Xtra
Major
Company Commander
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Major Company Commander Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Chuck Mon 24 Aug 2015, 09:57

(D/229) Xtra wrote:Yeah was spectating the twitch from sniporbob during the departure to the farp. Looked pretty awesome. Are you sure the server did not crash because of a changed script or mission item. Maybe dabomb can see a log history of the server. Did not notice any hickups or severe lag, looked like the server handled pretty well.

It could be interesting to check the log indeed and know what caused the crash.

(A/229) Chuck

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Cib Mon 24 Aug 2015, 13:05

My thoughts for what its worth Chuck
I think an overall mission commander should be first slot in the ORBAT. Either a lone huey/ Ground Commander/ JTAC to both co-ordinate flights and to move the troops once the slicks unload, whilst that is not any way a criticism of your leadership, I think that a dedicated slot would help things along.
Maybe add a Form Up Point for the slicks and medevacs to meet up. Seperate the KA50's into 2 flights of 2 ships to accompany each group in a similar way to the British army approach to airborne ops in Afghanistan.

A pleasure to be part of and the above is purely my thoughts on improvement:D
(B/229) Cib
(B/229) Cib
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Chuck Mon 24 Aug 2015, 13:31

Totally agree with everything you said, Cib. You're bang on the money if you ask me. For me the work load was almost too much (and it's even harder since I need to translate everything french/english in my head... not an easy thing). Having a dedicated Ground Controller seems like the best way to coordinate all these flights. It reduces the workload of the flight leads considerably and makes for an overall smoother experience for everyone involved.

(A/229) Chuck

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Nage Mon 24 Aug 2015, 16:09

Lots of stutters at airfield, crashed cuz of that. At second landing at airfield i lost TS. TS was reporting some "ERROR"
message. With no comms i tried to find my flight and at the same time while flying i tried to fix TS. When i went to desktop i got connected to TS properly ( i think it was connected to being near that airport cuz when i flew away from airfield where FPS was normal TS came back like nothing had happened) but i crashed into hills. Finally gave it up, did some &%$#"*** curses and drank a beer.
All in all seemed like a good mission.

Sad
(B/229) Nage
(B/229) Nage
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) NeF Mon 24 Aug 2015, 16:53

*Hug*
If you had the beer, no need for the tear.
(B/229) NeF
(B/229) NeF
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Rated Senior Aviator

Killed In Action: : At least a six pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down