1stCavDiv (Airmobile)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate to the 229th
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) Pixel

Archived Forum! Click here to View

Latest topics
» Application-Zeek
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) EmptyFri 05 Mar 2021, 03:34 by (A/229) Zeek

» Announcing the 229th Wiki Page
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021, 14:17 by (B/229) Sundog

» Application - Coach
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) EmptySat 30 Jan 2021, 19:42 by (A/229) Spooky

» Happy new year!
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) EmptyWed 06 Jan 2021, 21:48 by (A/229) Spooky

» Fall 2020 Promition List
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) EmptyWed 30 Dec 2020, 10:20 by (C/229) Wallaby

» Application
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 03:06 by (A/229) Cactus

» Mission Night
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) EmptyFri 16 Oct 2020, 19:51 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» KA 50 Training 13 OCT 2020 2000 CDT
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020, 18:34 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» New applicant
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) EmptySat 10 Oct 2020, 03:45 by (A/229) Gator

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3)

5 posters

Go down

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) Empty Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3)

Post by (A/229) BBall Fri 16 May 2014, 03:19

OK guys....so to continue our little tour of the “Pacific Museum of Avation Pearl Harbo”, I wandered back to the Hangar 37 stuff (where the bus drops you off, and it all begins). Their newest addition here is the SBD Dauntless (don’t know the story behind her), and she’s a beauty!

Here we go....

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) Hang371

The scoorge of the Pacific for so many years, the A6M Zero... I recently read that the fact that she had so little armor (and/or no self sealing fuel tanks) was actually due to lots of input by the pilots to the Mitsubishi factory! Their thoughts of superiority seemed to far outweigh their feelings about survivability... (funny how different two cultures can be...right?)

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) Hang372

Speaking as a pilot....I’ll bet she was a joy to fly.

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) Hang373

Is it me, or does she always seem just a bit TOO fragile to be trapping aboard a carrier? (as apposed to a Hellcat, Dauntless, Helldiver, TBM, etc....)

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) Hang374

Looking back toward the other exhibits. P-40, B-25, SBD, F4F...

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) Hang375

The story of Ken Taylor and George Welch on that fateful Sunday morning....

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) Hang376

Every time I’m around a Mitchell, I can’t help but stand in wonder imagining myself sitting in that left seat, throttles firewalled, engines howling for all they're worth, wind and spray whipping across the deck of the Hornet, legs straining holding the brakes, and the flagman waving me off toward Tokyo and an unknown destiny...

They were incredibly brave men, doing an impossible  job, and here we are 70 years later STILL in awe of them. If you haven’t read Ted Lawson’s “Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo”, you owe it to yourself to do so... (http://www.amazon.com/Thirty-Seconds-Over-Tokyo-Lawson/dp/0743474333 ). It's a hokey, but pretty good movie (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww58PQ2_LVY ), but it's a terrific book.

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) Hang377

The signatures of two from that group of amazing men.

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) Hang378

The Dauntless.

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) Hang3711

Another view...

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) Hang379a

On my last visit here, I was admiring their little F4F Wildcat, and an old geezer walked up and started talking to me (“Chick” fought at Wake Island and was a volunteer for the museum). He told me they pulled this little gem out of Lake Michigan. Seems that they did a huge amount of carrier practice in the Great Lakes, and many machines are resting on the bottoms of those lakes due to “pilot error” (and other causes). He said when they pulled her out, due to the fact that she had been in “clear water” for all those years, they had almost NOTHING to do to get her to museum shape. He said the tires were still inflated, the fuel was good, the ammo was still OK, and save some draining of the engine, one could’ve sat down, moved a few switches and started her right up!

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) Hang3710

Their diorama is (of course) from the “Cactus Air Force” circa 1942 Henderson Field on Guadalcanal. Beautiful machine in a dramatic setting...

==========

My only other story from the museum is from the last time I was there. Adjacent to the F4F display, they have an area of "Combat Simulator Flights" (you can see the sign in the background of the first F4F pic). They have a set up of several “cockpits”  featuring a P-38, and once paying your money, you can plop in and “dogfight” the Zeros that appear on the screen in front of you (it’s all really cheesy, and the graphics are from the “Aces Over Europe” era...almost 20 years ago). I paid my $, “strapped in” (with the help of a volunteer that shows you the controls and how you use them....lol), and proceeded to yank and bank, blasting my way through all the Japs (to the amazement of the volunteer!). He asked if I had any actual flight time (“uhhhh...no”), or if I had flown a flight simulator before (“uhhhh....no”), and I left smirking while he stood shaking his head....

Huey pics soon.... Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
(A/229) BBall
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : since 1973? are you kidding me? oh, you mean FLIGHT SIM flights!
Killed In Action: : is a zillion too many times?
Slick No. of landings: : you mean the ones I walked away from?
CAS Tanks destroyed: : not many.
CAS Vehicules destroyed: : more than the tanks.
CAS Bunkers destroyed: : have no idea! were they selling beer there?

Back to top Go down

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) Empty Re: Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3)

Post by (HHC/229) flyer Fri 16 May 2014, 03:32

Very nice
(HHC/229) flyer
(HHC/229) flyer
Major
S1
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Major S1 Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3) Empty Re: Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 3)

Post by (HHC/229) Strut Fri 16 May 2014, 05:26

Great pics mate, thanks for posting them.
(HHC/229) Strut
(HHC/229) Strut
Major
Battalion XO
Rated Senior Aviator
Major Battalion XO Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) NeF Fri 16 May 2014, 07:26

Gr8 pics and great stories!
(B/229) NeF
(B/229) NeF
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Rated Senior Aviator

Killed In Action: : At least a six pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbine FixR Fri 16 May 2014, 10:53

Like everyone above has stated--Great Pics & Anecdotes!

Thanks for sharing
Turbine FixR
Turbine FixR
Captain
Rated Senior Aviator
Captain Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : I can't count that High
Killed In Action: : Lots... :O
Slick No. of landings: : Always Landed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down