1stCavDiv (Airmobile)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate to the 229th
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) Pixel

Archived Forum! Click here to View

Latest topics
» Application-Zeek
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) EmptyFri 05 Mar 2021, 03:34 by (A/229) Zeek

» Announcing the 229th Wiki Page
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021, 14:17 by (B/229) Sundog

» Application - Coach
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) EmptySat 30 Jan 2021, 19:42 by (A/229) Spooky

» Happy new year!
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) EmptyWed 06 Jan 2021, 21:48 by (A/229) Spooky

» Fall 2020 Promition List
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) EmptyWed 30 Dec 2020, 10:20 by (C/229) Wallaby

» Application
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 03:06 by (A/229) Cactus

» Mission Night
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) EmptyFri 16 Oct 2020, 19:51 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» KA 50 Training 13 OCT 2020 2000 CDT
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020, 18:34 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» New applicant
Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) EmptySat 10 Oct 2020, 03:45 by (A/229) Gator

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2)

+2
(HHC/229) Strut
(A/229) BBall
6 posters

Go down

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) Empty Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2)

Post by (A/229) BBall Thu 15 May 2014, 00:45

More pics my friends...

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) 10H34Choctaw

I love the H-34 “Chocktaw” for the simple reason that my father logged many an hour in this beauty (and I was lucky enough as a young man to sit in the her cockpit many, many times).

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) 12SH602

For the “-60 boys”...Not in the correct colors, but cool nonetheless!

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) 13SH60cockpit

Look at all those funny clocks! What the hell is that big-assed handle with the red knob? When you pull that does the stewardess bring you coffee?

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) 15CH53SeaStallion

Funny how some of these big bastards will fly! Three engines....how cool is that? Doesn't this baby just LOOK like it should be hauling around a platoon of bad-assed Marines?

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) 16CH53cockpit

The “front office” of the -53....

=========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) 14AH-1S

As I continued to wander around, I eventually made it to the aft part of the hangar where the real work is being done. Here, they’re restoring an AH-1S to look like an AH-1G circa “Vietnam era”. I befriended one of the workers, and he said they can’t find any noses from a “G”, so they have all the foam, etc. set aside to fashion one themselves! Crafty these boys are.... (more about my new buddy in a bit)

==========

Outside working my way back toward Hangar 37...

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) 17flightlinelineup

This is new from my last visit. A line up of “Who’s Who” from the Cold War.

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) 17e

An F-104 Starfighter...a friggin bullet with wings!!! I must’ve built this model about a dozen times as a kid! It looks like it’s doing Mach 2 just sitting on the ramp! With that funky little landing gear, I WOULD NOT want to try landing this thing in a gusty crosswind during a downpour!

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) 17a

Mig 21. Me thinks he needs to hit: “Backspace, F8, F3” and ask for “Re-arm/Repair” to get that nose tire fixed!

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) 17c

Hard to believe this big bastard was launching and trapping all day and night on the carries a few years ago, right? Good friend of mine (retired A320 Captain for the airline) flew this bugger, and even did most of the Tomcat flying in the movie “Top Gun”. He’s a TRUE character to be sure, and his stories of those night traps (and the time he had to punch out coming off the CAT on a cold CAT shot) will make your hair stand on end...

==========

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) 17d

F-102. The dude I’m working this trip with, flew the F-106 for many years (and the F-16 before he retired from the USAF). Did you know (on the -106) we had air launched “AIR TO AIR NUKES” that these things carried? (He was telling me all about them) Me neither! Fairly sure you’d have a pretty high PK factor when you let loose something that would end with a REALLY BIG BANG!

==========

And finally....

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) 18F-15Eagle

The Eagle. Standing there taking in all her beauty, really made me want to fire the F-15C module in DCS (with the new FM) and take it for a spin. I haven’t logged any time in her since Griff and I did some Eagle flying last Spring (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqZfSE8tKKM ). May have to do just that after I get home!

==========

Huey pics coming soon (in another thread)!!!

BBall
(A/229) BBall
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : since 1973? are you kidding me? oh, you mean FLIGHT SIM flights!
Killed In Action: : is a zillion too many times?
Slick No. of landings: : you mean the ones I walked away from?
CAS Tanks destroyed: : not many.
CAS Vehicules destroyed: : more than the tanks.
CAS Bunkers destroyed: : have no idea! were they selling beer there?

Back to top Go down

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) Empty Re: Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2)

Post by (HHC/229) Strut Thu 15 May 2014, 01:04

Your a lucky fellow being able to check out the "good gear", thanks for the happy snaps.
(HHC/229) Strut
(HHC/229) Strut
Major
Battalion XO
Rated Senior Aviator
Major Battalion XO Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2) Empty Re: Pacific Aviation Museum of Pearl Harbor (pt 2)

Post by (HHC/229) flyer Thu 15 May 2014, 02:35

Thanks for the tour BBall...I'm certainly living vicariously through you so keep posting.
(HHC/229) flyer
(HHC/229) flyer
Major
S1
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Major S1 Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) NeF Thu 15 May 2014, 10:49

Strange cockpit on the 102! Is it the plane they called the bath tub? And I never get enough of that tomcat, those lines..
(B/229) NeF
(B/229) NeF
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Rated Senior Aviator

Killed In Action: : At least a six pack

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229)Samri Thu 15 May 2014, 12:01

Great shots B.

Just got my June roster...I've got a NRT on the 4th.
Don't 'spose you'd be in town?

Cheers,
Samri.
(C/229)Samri
(C/229)Samri
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4  Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) BBall Fri 16 May 2014, 03:25

Just got my June schedule.

I'm in NRT on Monday 16th, Thursday 19th, Sunday 22nd and Tuesday the 1st of July. Let me know if any of those work, and I'll buy you a beer at the Jet Lag!

BBall
(A/229) BBall
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : since 1973? are you kidding me? oh, you mean FLIGHT SIM flights!

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229)Samri Fri 16 May 2014, 22:42

Looks like I'll miss you next month.
Looking forward to a couple of beers with ya one day soon.

I bet the other guys (crew) will wonder what on earth we are talking about!

Cheers,
Samri
(C/229)Samri
(C/229)Samri
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4  Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) Strut Sat 17 May 2014, 00:58

NRT = Narita (Tokyo), the place where most international routes intersect ? Japan Stop over ? (Nice place full of LBFMPBR's ) ?
(HHC/229) Strut
(HHC/229) Strut
Major
Battalion XO
Rated Senior Aviator
Major Battalion XO Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) Skullz Sat 17 May 2014, 02:59

Nice post.
(HHC/229) Skullz
(HHC/229) Skullz
Lt Col
Battalion Commanding Officer
Rated Senior Aviator
Lt Col Battalion Commanding Officer Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) BBall Sat 17 May 2014, 14:32

(C/229) Strut wrote:NRT = Narita (Tokyo), the place where most international routes intersect ?  Japan Stop over ? (Nice place full of LBFMPBR's ) ?

Exactly. (except for the LBFMPBR reference...lol)

It's essentially, my home away from home. On a typical month (one 12 or 13 day trip), I'm there three or four nights....so much that I know the names of the laundry ladies, and the bartender runs when she sees me coming.

Actually, it's a nice little town, full of very nice folks. The airport is huge, handles tons of traffic quite well (99% of the time), and I've been going there for so long (my first layover there was waaay back in '85), it really does feel like "home" to many of us.

Oh, and Samri, no matter the topic, the rest of the crew is ALWAYS wondering what the fkk I'm talking about....lol.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
(A/229) BBall
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down