1stCavDiv (Airmobile)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate to the 229th
Flying the Huey in the Rocky Mountains Pixel

Archived Forum! Click here to View

Latest topics
» Application-Zeek
Flying the Huey in the Rocky Mountains EmptyFri 05 Mar 2021, 03:34 by (A/229) Zeek

» Announcing the 229th Wiki Page
Flying the Huey in the Rocky Mountains EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021, 14:17 by (B/229) Sundog

» Application - Coach
Flying the Huey in the Rocky Mountains EmptySat 30 Jan 2021, 19:42 by (A/229) Spooky

» Happy new year!
Flying the Huey in the Rocky Mountains EmptyWed 06 Jan 2021, 21:48 by (A/229) Spooky

» Fall 2020 Promition List
Flying the Huey in the Rocky Mountains EmptyWed 30 Dec 2020, 10:20 by (C/229) Wallaby

» Application
Flying the Huey in the Rocky Mountains EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 03:06 by (A/229) Cactus

» Mission Night
Flying the Huey in the Rocky Mountains EmptyFri 16 Oct 2020, 19:51 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» KA 50 Training 13 OCT 2020 2000 CDT
Flying the Huey in the Rocky Mountains EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020, 18:34 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» New applicant
Flying the Huey in the Rocky Mountains EmptySat 10 Oct 2020, 03:45 by (A/229) Gator

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Flying the Huey in the Rocky Mountains

3 posters

Go down

Flying the Huey in the Rocky Mountains Empty Flying the Huey in the Rocky Mountains

Post by Guest Mon 19 Aug 2013, 16:36

Hey guys,

this here is a video I made when I got the amazing opportunity to fly the Huey, some five years ago. Hope you'll like it! It's got music and everything. Man, I even got out at around 10.000', freezing my ASS OFF just to make some nice shots. Watch it in fullscreen (click on YouTube in the lower right corner of the video) and turn up the volume to hear the whoop-whoop!

Back to top Go down

Flying the Huey in the Rocky Mountains Empty Re: Flying the Huey in the Rocky Mountains

Post by Guest Mon 19 Aug 2013, 16:41

Nice one Grizzly a bit of the Stones to how come when I try to upload a video to the tube with that song on it gets blocked due to copyright.

Back to top Go down

Flying the Huey in the Rocky Mountains Empty Re: Flying the Huey in the Rocky Mountains

Post by Guest Mon 19 Aug 2013, 16:46

Nice one Grizzly. What do you prefer flying out of the Chinook and the Huey.

Out of curiosity how did the rotor blades stay on?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Aug 2013, 16:52

lol @ Pride. Must be magic Smile
At that time, I had only flown the Chinook with the US Army, and the way the US Army uses the Chinook was very disappointing to me. Flying the Huey was a dream come true. It's a legendary iconic helicopter, and it's a blast to fly, and REALLY easy. Just get in, start up, fly away. It's too simple. And the sound is awesome.
But, back in the Netherlands I learned to fly the Chinook the Dutch way. Thank god.
Nothing beats slamming 10.000shp around flying 120 knots turning left and right between trees. The Chinook flies like a truck on steroids with formula 1 performance, beats any helicopter if you ask me Smile

@ McCoy, I have no idea, I've had many of my videos muted or removed from YouTube because of music copyright bladeebla. Thankfully this one's still on Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Aug 2013, 17:21

I currently live near the home of the Chinooks in England. For me they have the most distinctive sound of all the helicopters, which can't be beaten. I've grown up around a lot of helicopters and you can tell one is arriving from miles away. I for one would not have to the balls to fly one in a war zone so hats off to you guys . I know I would rather be in an Apache that's for sure!

For me though my favorite helicopter is the MD500. Having seen an impromptu display by the Argentinian UN taskforce in Cyprus as a teenager during a summer fete it's always been at the top of my list. Was one of the most insane displays I've seen. Suckers didn't know that my dad was there though and he headed up the island's flight safety/standards. Just got to hope that MD500 is brought out for DCS but can't see it happening for a very long time.

So do you guys go out to the USA for your initial training?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Aug 2013, 17:32

Odiham? I was there for an exercise in 2011, Pashtun Jaguar, taking place on the Salisbury plains. Lots of fun.
Have you ever seen the RAF Chinook display? I haven't unfortunatly, but the youtube videos are amazing, but you just gotta hear and feel the power irl...

I'd prefer the Chinook above the Apache anytime. The Chinook totally outperforms the Apache. Ok, we don't have the rockets and hellfires, but we've got better FLIR and 3 times .50 M3M (youtube it Smile )which look badass and kick ass. Smile

Yeah we go to Fort Rucker, Alabama for helicopter training (And mountain flight training in Colorado), but we get our initial training on PC-7 fixed wing in the Netherlands. Since recently, conversion to the Dutch Chinooks (We have 3 of our Chinooks stationed there permanently), as well as yearly exercises are done at Fort Hood, Texas. I just got back from a month in Texas, and I'm probably going again in november. I love the states Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by (H/229) Skeeter Mon 19 Aug 2013, 17:51

Sweet video
(H/229) Skeeter
(H/229) Skeeter
Captain
Platoon Leader
Rated Senior Aviator
Captain Platoon Leader Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (D/229) Luke Mon 19 Aug 2013, 18:11

Hey man nice footage! I've also been fortunate enough to fly in the Huey! It was such an amazing time! Something ill never forget, and also like you a dream come true!

(D/229) Luke
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) flyer Mon 19 Aug 2013, 19:39

Nice video Grizzly, I especially like the shot of you coming into that LZ with snow. It shows what can happen when you land on snow...white out conditions, very dangerous but cool to do running landings in.
(HHC/229) flyer
(HHC/229) flyer
Major
S1
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Major S1 Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Aug 2013, 22:50

Nice, thanks Grizzly to share you video.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Aug 2013, 01:48

Video was taken about the time I moved out into Denver for college. Hated Denver, but I love Denver a lot more than the place I live now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down