1stCavDiv (Airmobile)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate to the 229th
Friendly Fire requesting permission to join Pixel

Archived Forum! Click here to View

Latest topics
» Application-Zeek
Friendly Fire requesting permission to join EmptyFri 05 Mar 2021, 03:34 by (A/229) Zeek

» Announcing the 229th Wiki Page
Friendly Fire requesting permission to join EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021, 14:17 by (B/229) Sundog

» Application - Coach
Friendly Fire requesting permission to join EmptySat 30 Jan 2021, 19:42 by (A/229) Spooky

» Happy new year!
Friendly Fire requesting permission to join EmptyWed 06 Jan 2021, 21:48 by (A/229) Spooky

» Fall 2020 Promition List
Friendly Fire requesting permission to join EmptyWed 30 Dec 2020, 10:20 by (C/229) Wallaby

» Application
Friendly Fire requesting permission to join EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 03:06 by (A/229) Cactus

» Mission Night
Friendly Fire requesting permission to join EmptyFri 16 Oct 2020, 19:51 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» KA 50 Training 13 OCT 2020 2000 CDT
Friendly Fire requesting permission to join EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020, 18:34 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» New applicant
Friendly Fire requesting permission to join EmptySat 10 Oct 2020, 03:45 by (A/229) Gator

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Friendly Fire requesting permission to join

+6
(B/229) evilivan
(HHC/229) flyer
Turbine FixR
(HHC/229) Skullz
(HHC/229) Strut
(HHC/229) Dabomb
10 posters

Go down

Friendly Fire requesting permission to join Empty Friendly Fire requesting permission to join

Post by Guest Mon 06 Jun 2016, 22:46

...don't worry about the callsign. It was given to me when I was testing European Air War for MicroProse back in the day. The AI wingmen used to get in my way for testing purposes, so I always made it a point to shoot them first as soon as I took off.
I'm 46. I live currently in South Carolina, U.S., where I play drums for a living. I used to (as the more astute of you may have already surmised) work for MicroProse Software, and then Hasbro Interactive. I tested both European Air War and Falcon 4.0. I take no blame for the latter--If you look in the database, I promise the release-bugs were there...those decisions happened on a Higher Level... Regardless, look what it became! There are people out there -still- playing sims based on Falcon 4 code...
Anyway... I've just started getting annoyed with the scripted campaign for DCS Huey, and was curious if there were any squadrons about. I'm not great at it, but have started to manage landing without killing myself or others. Combat seems (ahem) hit or miss, since it mostly relies upon AI to hit things. They don't appear to do a very good job. I doubt I can do better at the moment.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'd like to join, assuming I can get all the gear working on my PC...

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Friendly Fire

Back to top Go down

Friendly Fire requesting permission to join Empty Re: Friendly Fire requesting permission to join

Post by (D/229) Hammer Mon 06 Jun 2016, 22:50

There's no such thing as friendly fire........

You'll like it here or love it here. A lot of us have been here for years, and there are a lot of real world aviators that fly here too. Someone will get you squared away with Teamspeak and your callsign shortly. Feel free to ask any questions you might have!

Last edited by (A/229) Utley on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 22:52; edited 1 time in total
(D/229) Hammer
(D/229) Hammer
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : Lots
Killed In Action: : Lots more
Slick No. of landings: : all of them

Back to top Go down

Friendly Fire requesting permission to join Empty Re: Friendly Fire requesting permission to join

Post by (HHC/229) Dabomb Mon 06 Jun 2016, 22:51

Welcome, FF. Good to see an old MicroProse guy! Those were the days...

You'll be getting a welcome letter shortly from the A Co. Commander that has all the stuff you'll need to get on the TeamSpeak server, our DCS servers, etc.

We're a pretty laid-back and friendly bunch of misfits, so you should fit right in. Very Happy

(HHC/229) Dabomb
(HHC/229) Dabomb
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) Dabomb Mon 06 Jun 2016, 22:53

There's no such thing as friendly fire........

Or, as they say, Friendly fire... isn't.
(HHC/229) Dabomb
(HHC/229) Dabomb
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) Strut Mon 06 Jun 2016, 22:55

Welcome in FF, so your one those that is responsible for my sim addiction, il have to thank you, i think i got most of your sims and games back in the day. Anyway welcome ! I dont know how long you have been flying in DCS but i think you might relate to its mission editing, coding and scripting as another potential for frustration...
(HHC/229) Strut
(HHC/229) Strut
Major
Battalion XO
Rated Senior Aviator
Major Battalion XO Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Jun 2016, 23:02

Thanks! I joined MPS in `95, and then again in `98 (after a HUGE layoff in between that spawned a bunch of Baltimore-based software companies--one of which, Firaxis, is still going very strongly) and left in `01. But I logged MANY hours in: Gunship, F-19 Stealth Fighter, F-15 III, F-14, Falcon 3, Pacific Air War, blah blah blah...
DCS is -really- impressive! I've been mucking around with it since Black Shark (the first one) and toyed with A-10... Huey is the first one that's really got my attention.

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) Skullz Mon 06 Jun 2016, 23:19

Welcome! Man, what a suprise! The very first flight sim I bought for PC was Falcon 4.0 and I sill have it as well as the second version, I think it was Falcon Allied Force or something like that. Actually I bought a PC just to play Falcon, and later bought a math processor for the PC just to be able to run it faster, lol. You'll be assigned to A Co and Capt Haweye is the CO. He'll be on shortly and get you a welcome letter with further information. For the time being, just request to join A Co under the user groups menu.
(HHC/229) Skullz
(HHC/229) Skullz
Lt Col
Battalion Commanding Officer
Rated Senior Aviator
Lt Col Battalion Commanding Officer Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Jun 2016, 23:20

Done! Thank you very much!

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) Skullz Mon 06 Jun 2016, 23:45

Okay I sent you a PM with a link to your orders.
(HHC/229) Skullz
(HHC/229) Skullz
Lt Col
Battalion Commanding Officer
Rated Senior Aviator
Lt Col Battalion Commanding Officer Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbine FixR Mon 06 Jun 2016, 23:54

Welcome  Friendly Fire  

I see our Illustrious Leader Beat me to your Welcome letter by 9 Minutes....    LOL

Soooo........ you now have TWO Letters....  Suspect

I've sent you a PM with all the details you'll need to  help us "Beat the Air into Submission"!

Le us know if you have any questions.... we're here to help.

Our Pixel Mail Department  needs to have the Pilots Program tweaked   (**Throws the DECAF Coffee in the Coffee maker ( Without telling anyone))

(A/229) Hawkeye
Turbine FixR
Turbine FixR
Captain
Rated Senior Aviator
Captain Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : I can't count that High
Killed In Action: : Lots... :O
Slick No. of landings: : Always Landed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Jun 2016, 00:38

Thank you very much!

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) flyer Tue 07 Jun 2016, 01:24

Welcome to the 229th Friendly Fire. Your talents will serve you well here. I also did some time as a professional guitar player and singer before, during and after serving as an aviation Warrant Officer in the U.S. Army so we have a few things in common. Samri was also a professional drummer (presently a commercial heavy pilot) so hit him up for a little drum talk. I look forward to flying with you.
(HHC/229) flyer
(HHC/229) flyer
Major
S1
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Major S1 Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Jun 2016, 04:20

Thanks very much! I'm retired from 'professional' drumming--the last band I was in pissed me off to the point of Not Wanting To Play With Anyone Else I Don't Invite To My Home. And playing live was never really the rush it seems to be for everyone else. I always outwardly cringe whenever I've had an 'off' night and some drunk person gets WAY closer to me than I'm comfortable with an shouts in my ear, "THAT WAS AWESOME, MAN! FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!" and I can smell clearly not only what beer he's drinking but the past 30 shots as well...
Ugh...
I'm an introvert who can present like an extrovert for short bursts--and people misread it all the time. Not be best personality for live performance...

Anyway...I'm old. I know a guy who would give me a pilot's medical, and even though I'd love to fly and can actually now afford it, I'm vetoing myself because I've had two heart attacks, and I really don't think 'up there' is the best thing for anyone else around me.

So it goes. PixelPiloting (As Strut calls it) is good enough for me. I have some great gear and a 43" monitor to lose myself in.
And if I'm bitten really badly by the bug, I can take another Discovery flight at the local FBO and maybe ask them to let me try to land this time and only yank the controls unless I'm really screwing things up...

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) evilivan Tue 07 Jun 2016, 06:51

...how do you know that you have a drummer at the door? They knock three times and then come in late ;-)

Welcome FF, look forward to flying with you....

(B/229) evilivan
Second Lieutenant
Unit Training Officer
Rated Senior Aviator
Second Lieutenant Unit Training Officer Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Jun 2016, 13:12

How do you get the drummer off your porch?
Pay him for the pizza.

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) evilivan Tue 07 Jun 2016, 13:45

Friendly Fire wrote:How do you get the drummer off your porch?
Pay him for the pizza.

Nice Very Happy

How do you know if the drummer's platform is level? He dribbles out of both corners of his mouth. (Or her of course).

(B/229) evilivan
Second Lieutenant
Unit Training Officer
Rated Senior Aviator
Second Lieutenant Unit Training Officer Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Cib Tue 07 Jun 2016, 15:47

Welcome friend
(B/229) Cib
(B/229) Cib
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (D/229) Hammer Tue 07 Jun 2016, 16:07

You know what the best thing is about a drummer? You cant see them behind everything else.
(D/229) Hammer
(D/229) Hammer
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : Lots
Killed In Action: : Lots more
Slick No. of landings: : all of them

Back to top Go down

Post by (D/229) Froggy Tue 07 Jun 2016, 17:09

Welcome to the Cav FF. Like many here I too got really immersed in sims because of F4 so thank you for your work on that.

Did you hear about the drummer that was so depressed about his bad timing he decided to commit suicide and threw himself behind a train?

I'm sure that I'll fly well with you if we meet up in the virtual skies, I'm a bassist. Laughing
(D/229) Froggy
(D/229) Froggy
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (D/229) Guinness Wed 08 Jun 2016, 02:23

Welcome to the unit!
(D/229) Guinness
(D/229) Guinness
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jun 2016, 14:03

Thank you all very much!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down