1stCavDiv (Airmobile)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate to the 229th
Hovering a Helicopter Pixel

Archived Forum! Click here to View

Latest topics
» Application-Zeek
Hovering a Helicopter EmptyFri 05 Mar 2021, 03:34 by (A/229) Zeek

» Announcing the 229th Wiki Page
Hovering a Helicopter EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021, 14:17 by (B/229) Sundog

» Application - Coach
Hovering a Helicopter EmptySat 30 Jan 2021, 19:42 by (A/229) Spooky

» Happy new year!
Hovering a Helicopter EmptyWed 06 Jan 2021, 21:48 by (A/229) Spooky

» Fall 2020 Promition List
Hovering a Helicopter EmptyWed 30 Dec 2020, 10:20 by (C/229) Wallaby

» Application
Hovering a Helicopter EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 03:06 by (A/229) Cactus

» Mission Night
Hovering a Helicopter EmptyFri 16 Oct 2020, 19:51 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» KA 50 Training 13 OCT 2020 2000 CDT
Hovering a Helicopter EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020, 18:34 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» New applicant
Hovering a Helicopter EmptySat 10 Oct 2020, 03:45 by (A/229) Gator

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Hovering a Helicopter

2 posters

Go down

Hovering a Helicopter Empty Hovering a Helicopter

Post by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX Wed 23 Mar 2016, 01:03

(HHC/229) GunfighterSIX
(HHC/229) GunfighterSIX
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Battalion Standardization Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4  Battalion Standardization Instructor PilotRated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Hovering a Helicopter Empty Re: Hovering a Helicopter

Post by (A/229) BBall Wed 23 Mar 2016, 15:55

SIX...

Thanks a ton for posting this up! I laughed until I spotted myself (well, not really).

"...and how long until it clicks with me?"

"6 to 8 months..."

LMAO!

This took me back to the days when I was a teenager (1969) and used to accompany my Dad out to the Army Primary Helicopter School at Ft. Wolters, Texas where he was a civilian I.P. contracting to the Army training WOCs (Warrant Officer Candidates).

Out at the myriad "Stage Fields" spread over North Texas, there was always a huge concrete area that was used for learning to hover. One of the little TH-55 (Hughes 300 to us civie types) would amble over to the middle of the parking lot type area (always steady as a rock...obviously the I.P. was at the controls), it would settle gently to the pavement, then there would be a few minutes of imparting a brain trust toward the student in the art of hovering, then the "fun" would begin!

The little machine would rise and begin a rock and roll "dance" LITERALLY ALL OVER the huge pad area! The nose would dip, it would rear back up, drift left, drift right, the little machine would shoot up, drop back down...and all the while myself and the I.P.s that were standing around (their students were post-solo and were in the traffic pattern doing practice approaches, etc), would be laughing our asses off! As a 13 year old, I was afforded only a small amount of guffaw, but these men in their zippered "hero costumes" (they, like my Dad were all ex-Army types, had been to "the Nam", and were all now riding the gravy train of being a civilian instructor) would laugh, point, slap each other on the back, and generally have WAY TOO much fun watching some poor I.P. out in the "rodeo arena" trying to teach the un-teachable.

Eventually (after SEVERAL moments of "rock steady" in the hover)....the I.P. was obviously on the controls trying to get this knucklehead to STOP CHURNING THE BUTTER with the cyclic, JACKING THE PUMP with the collective, and God knows what they were doing with the anti-torque pedals!...the little bird would hover over the same patch of ground (well kinda) for the required amount of time, and the fun would be over...

...until the next little orange and white machine would taxi into the "rodeo".

"Out of shoot number 7....being ridden by WOC Jones.....WIDOW MAKER!"

Ah....good times....good times. Btw, I'm just finishing up putting these memories onto paper, and will post up a link to my blog when it's finished....the title is "The Sundance Kid" (one of the Stage Fields was named "Sundance").

THANKS AGAIN SIX! This made my day...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
(A/229) BBall
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : since 1973? are you kidding me? oh, you mean FLIGHT SIM flights!
Killed In Action: : is a zillion too many times?
Slick No. of landings: : you mean the ones I walked away from?
CAS Tanks destroyed: : not many.
CAS Vehicules destroyed: : more than the tanks.
CAS Bunkers destroyed: : have no idea! were they selling beer there?

Back to top Go down