1stCavDiv (Airmobile)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate to the 229th
Post all articles/videos/stories on the Tomcat here Pixel

Archived Forum! Click here to View

Latest topics
» Application-Zeek
Post all articles/videos/stories on the Tomcat here EmptyFri 05 Mar 2021, 03:34 by (A/229) Zeek

» Announcing the 229th Wiki Page
Post all articles/videos/stories on the Tomcat here EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021, 14:17 by (B/229) Sundog

» Application - Coach
Post all articles/videos/stories on the Tomcat here EmptySat 30 Jan 2021, 19:42 by (A/229) Spooky

» Happy new year!
Post all articles/videos/stories on the Tomcat here EmptyWed 06 Jan 2021, 21:48 by (A/229) Spooky

» Fall 2020 Promition List
Post all articles/videos/stories on the Tomcat here EmptyWed 30 Dec 2020, 10:20 by (C/229) Wallaby

» Application
Post all articles/videos/stories on the Tomcat here EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 03:06 by (A/229) Cactus

» Mission Night
Post all articles/videos/stories on the Tomcat here EmptyFri 16 Oct 2020, 19:51 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» KA 50 Training 13 OCT 2020 2000 CDT
Post all articles/videos/stories on the Tomcat here EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020, 18:34 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» New applicant
Post all articles/videos/stories on the Tomcat here EmptySat 10 Oct 2020, 03:45 by (A/229) Gator

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Post all articles/videos/stories on the Tomcat here

4 posters

Go down

Post all articles/videos/stories on the Tomcat here Empty Post all articles/videos/stories on the Tomcat here

Post by (B/229) NeF Tue 03 Mar 2015, 11:56

Last edited by (B/229) NeF on Tue 03 Mar 2015, 17:31; edited 2 times in total
(B/229) NeF
(B/229) NeF
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Rated Senior Aviator

Killed In Action: : At least a six pack

Back to top Go down

Post all articles/videos/stories on the Tomcat here Empty Re: Post all articles/videos/stories on the Tomcat here

Post by (A/229) BBall Tue 03 Mar 2015, 14:36

OK Nef my brutha...

This should get your little "Tomcat" cork bobbin in the water.

My old roommate from my days based in Boston crewing the DC-10 as an F/O was none other than USN Cmdr (ret) Lloyd "Bozo" Abel (he did the majority of the F-14 flying in the movie "Top Gun")! We became fast friends, and shared many an adventure together on layovers in AMS, FRA, etc... He has since moved to Florida (and retired from the airline), but I'll do what I can to get in touch with him and see if he'll stop by here and post up some of his old "yarns" about flying the Tomcat (he has some REALLY great stories).

Side note: At the time, he lived in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, and became one of our "honorary" LAN members. He attended a few LANs (we even had one at his house), but he never really got into the flight sim thing like we are (buying the computer, HOTAS, etc). This was back in the "Jane's F/A-18" days, and we put him in the seat several times and let him do some traps behind the USS Ronald Reagan in the Hornet. HE LOVED IT!

I did cajole him into writing a few pieces for the Frugalsworld site, and I'll do what I can to dig them up and post them on the site...

later,
BBall
(A/229) BBall
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : since 1973? are you kidding me? oh, you mean FLIGHT SIM flights!
Killed In Action: : is a zillion too many times?
Slick No. of landings: : you mean the ones I walked away from?
CAS Tanks destroyed: : not many.
CAS Vehicules destroyed: : more than the tanks.
CAS Bunkers destroyed: : have no idea! were they selling beer there?

Back to top Go down

Post all articles/videos/stories on the Tomcat here Empty Re: Post all articles/videos/stories on the Tomcat here

Post by (B/229) NeF Tue 03 Mar 2015, 15:17

Awesome BBall Smile
(B/229) NeF
(B/229) NeF
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) BBall Tue 03 Mar 2015, 18:32

OK...OK....OK....

In the process of trying to get in touch with Bozo (my old email addy bounced back)...I came across this:

http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/who-really-did-buzz-the-nkx-tower-in-topgun-watch.35794/

I just want to comment that you'll notice this dude is probably one of THE NICEST people you'd ever meet. I think it really comes through in the parts in the vid where he's talking...humble, little or no "fighter pilot" ego (and trust me, I've been around some ex fighter-pilot types that are the OPPOSITE of Bozo), .... just generally a good dude.

Smile

- BBall
(A/229) BBall
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : since 1973? are you kidding me? oh, you mean FLIGHT SIM flights!
Killed In Action: : is a zillion too many times?
Slick No. of landings: : you mean the ones I walked away from?
CAS Tanks destroyed: : not many.
CAS Vehicules destroyed: : more than the tanks.
CAS Bunkers destroyed: : have no idea! were they selling beer there?

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) NeF Tue 03 Mar 2015, 20:45

(A/229) BBall wrote:I think it really comes through in the parts in the vid where he's talking...humble, little or no "fighter pilot" ego
Good point Wink
(B/229) NeF
(B/229) NeF
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) Strut Tue 03 Mar 2015, 21:46

Looking forward to it BBall.
(HHC/229) Strut
(HHC/229) Strut
Major
Battalion XO
Rated Senior Aviator
Major Battalion XO Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229)Samri Tue 03 Mar 2015, 23:12

Absolutely B, every now and then you meet a (ex) fighter guy that somehow fell through the Type A++++ ego cracks. True humble gentlemen and pleasures to fly with.
(C/229)Samri
(C/229)Samri
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4  Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down