1stCavDiv (Airmobile)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate to the 229th
Several questions: Regarding Medevac Qualifications; Regarding DCS 2.x Pixel

Archived Forum! Click here to View

Latest topics
» Application-Zeek
Several questions: Regarding Medevac Qualifications; Regarding DCS 2.x EmptyFri 05 Mar 2021, 03:34 by (A/229) Zeek

» Announcing the 229th Wiki Page
Several questions: Regarding Medevac Qualifications; Regarding DCS 2.x EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021, 14:17 by (B/229) Sundog

» Application - Coach
Several questions: Regarding Medevac Qualifications; Regarding DCS 2.x EmptySat 30 Jan 2021, 19:42 by (A/229) Spooky

» Happy new year!
Several questions: Regarding Medevac Qualifications; Regarding DCS 2.x EmptyWed 06 Jan 2021, 21:48 by (A/229) Spooky

» Fall 2020 Promition List
Several questions: Regarding Medevac Qualifications; Regarding DCS 2.x EmptyWed 30 Dec 2020, 10:20 by (C/229) Wallaby

» Application
Several questions: Regarding Medevac Qualifications; Regarding DCS 2.x EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 03:06 by (A/229) Cactus

» Mission Night
Several questions: Regarding Medevac Qualifications; Regarding DCS 2.x EmptyFri 16 Oct 2020, 19:51 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» KA 50 Training 13 OCT 2020 2000 CDT
Several questions: Regarding Medevac Qualifications; Regarding DCS 2.x EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020, 18:34 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» New applicant
Several questions: Regarding Medevac Qualifications; Regarding DCS 2.x EmptySat 10 Oct 2020, 03:45 by (A/229) Gator

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Several questions: Regarding Medevac Qualifications; Regarding DCS 2.x

3 posters

Go down

Several questions: Regarding Medevac Qualifications; Regarding DCS 2.x Empty Several questions: Regarding Medevac Qualifications; Regarding DCS 2.x

Post by (A/229) Huckleberry Tue 27 Jun 2017, 04:23

I haven't been active in awhile.  I've been out of state for the past few weeks, with a couple more days to go.  I should be back in the cockpit soon.

I had a few scattered, unrelated questions that I thought could be answered in the open forum so everyone can benefit from the answers.

1. It doesn't look like our medivac detachment is active.  Is there a means of obtaining a medivac qualification?  Or is Senior Wings meant to cover all the training necessary for medivac/casevac operations?  If that's the case, I get why its sort of a vestigial company, not only because there is basically no specialization and coy-specific training involved, but also because of the scenario limitations in DCS, and the temporal limitations (almost no formal airtime) of belonging to such a unit.

I think it would be neat if there were some sort of specialization there, if not only just a training regimen where one could test and become 'medivac qualified'.  Maybe that would also draw some more interest and activity.  But that's just one man's opinion...

2. How are things going with DCS 2.1.1?  Are we going to phase out DCS 1 anytime soon?  Am I going to be bored and flying alone on the DCS 1 servers when everyone else is raising hell in 2?  How are we dealing with this split?

And if I do put forth the money and effort to make the switch to 2, will I have some gratification there, or will I be miserable playing in VR, i.e with inexplicable frame stuttering (GTX 1080, HTC Vive), or was that fixed with the update?

I've read that the Georgian Caucasus map is coming to DCS 2. Does anyone know when?  Or if it will also cost money, like a new map would?

(A/229) Huckleberry
(A/229) Huckleberry
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Several questions: Regarding Medevac Qualifications; Regarding DCS 2.x Empty Re: Several questions: Regarding Medevac Qualifications; Regarding DCS 2.x

Post by (A/229) Trip Tue 27 Jun 2017, 07:31

Hey Huckleberry.  I'm obviously not qualified to answer most of your questions but I can answer one of them.  The 2.0 Caucasus will NOT cost additional money.  It is just an update to the free map.  As far as when, we were told fairly recently that it will in fact release in 2017 but that's all we've got.  This release theoretically will be the 2.5 unified client release, with 1.0 going away.

Also, for what it's worth if there was medevac traning and qualification I'd participate, as long as it didn't mean committing to being medevac in the 229th in lieu of standard and/or gunship operations.

(A/229) Trip

Back to top Go down

Several questions: Regarding Medevac Qualifications; Regarding DCS 2.x Empty Re: Several questions: Regarding Medevac Qualifications; Regarding DCS 2.x

Post by (B/229) Gizzy Tue 27 Jun 2017, 09:05

Hiya Huck...

After sorting out an appropriate prescription lenses I recently re-acquired the Rift (your fault)and once you dial in appropriate rather low settings 2.1.1 is okay with me and works fine.  Sure a little stutter at times especially over the trees but on average 30- 45 fps.  The trees use more resources than the houses 'n stuff.  On much higher settings pushing UHD 4K the frame rates are slightly higher - on HD they of course are higher still.  That's running STRIX 980ti OC, i7-6700 OC & 32 RAM

So to answer ...
(A/229) Huckleberry wrote:How are things going with DCS 2.1.1?
Not bad considering, unfortunately being low down and dirty will give a FPS hit compared to 10,000' but saying that 2.1.1 is a good improvement over the initial DCS release as far as VR is concerned but there is still a long way to go...

As I'm sure you know all maps will eventually run on the one platform.
(A/229) Huckleberry wrote:And if I do put forth the money and effort to make the switch to 2, will I have some gratification there
Yes you will, without doubt, if the Vive performs in 2.1.1 the same as the Rift - BUT the old adage YMMV applies.

(A/229) Huckleberry wrote:Am I going to be bored and flying alone on the DCS 1 servers when everyone else is raising hell in 2?
 I doubt that very much especially at the moment as it is the quietest I have ever seen with minimal communal flying, organised or otherwise on any Map - probably a summer influence to some extent...... and if you'll all alone in the  Caucasus I'll come and fly with you mate, promise... Smile

The Normandy map is relatively flat and not diverse in terrain like the Caucasus .  The detailed buildings & infrastructure with everything collidable is it's strength but I foresee all 3 maps being used equally whenever a will for group missions is present. The scenario being played will dictate what Map... Rural, Desert, Modern City, Mountains, dense populated farm land etc etc.. 

(A/229) Huckleberry wrote:Is there a means of obtaining a medivac qualification?
Not at the moment as far as I am aware... I know Xtra had views on this but personally  I think that formal Medevac will only come about if we regularly have large group missions and there is a desire and a need for the role.
(B/229) Gizzy
(B/229) Gizzy
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Huckleberry Wed 28 Jun 2017, 03:38

Thank you both for the answers.

@Trip I guess it's a small but attractive consolation that Georgia should be free. I for one would be appalled if it wasn't. So good news there.

I assume that means, potentially, one could hold out for 2.5, and not have to pay a dime, as long as they don't mind having only the updated Caucasus to play on... I assume the trees in that map will remain non-collidable?

Now regarding Normandy... Sounds like you are having to sacrifice a lot of performance in order to have collidable trees and better shaders. Sounds like I would be able to run it on my rig relatively fine, but as far as vive render + UHD screen render + UHD screen capture... I have apprehensions. But -- nothing really to do about that but maybe try at some point and hope for the best.

@Gizzy Are you liking the rift, now that you've got a new pair of eyes?

Appreciate your responses fellas. Trip I'm about to go read your progress update. Hope things are coming along smoothly!

o7
(A/229) Huckleberry
(A/229) Huckleberry
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Trip Wed 28 Jun 2017, 03:57

Tree's will be collide-able in all maps in 2.5 and going forward.  You absolutely can hold out for new Caucasus instead of paying for maps.  Honestly I'm surprised how unwilling DCS players are to pay for maps given how willing they are to buy additional aircraft.  

For me a $50 game purchase is something that takes weeks of consideration, and often holding out for prices to drop or a holiday sale.  DCS maps however are a no-brainer.  Lots more content for my already owned favorite aircraft!    If DCS came out with a new map every two months I'd still probably manage to buy them all somehow!

(A/229) Trip

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Huckleberry Wed 28 Jun 2017, 04:15

Well that weeks of consideration thing goes for me too, and maps are no exception. Especially when it's just a flat plain with some trees and buildings. I perceive everyone riding the wave saying "Wow, France! " But when I watch videos of it, I can't help but feel disappointed. The only redeeming quality I see is that you can currently use trees for cover. But since that's coming to Georgia anyway, I'm 90% inclined to use my ballerina skills to gracefully skip over Normandy.

The same goes for Nevada, though I admit it would be cool to do some sort of weird mission on the Vegas Strip.
(A/229) Huckleberry
(A/229) Huckleberry
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Trip Wed 28 Jun 2017, 06:10

Reading between the lines I think I have the same complaint about normandy. It's just so flat!

Looking forward to new Georgia most currently and wishing above all they would give us Vietnam.

(A/229) Trip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down