1stCavDiv (Airmobile)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate to the 229th
Passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico... Pixel

Archived Forum! Click here to View

Latest topics
» Application-Zeek
Passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico... EmptyFri 05 Mar 2021, 03:34 by (A/229) Zeek

» Announcing the 229th Wiki Page
Passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico... EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021, 14:17 by (B/229) Sundog

» Application - Coach
Passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico... EmptySat 30 Jan 2021, 19:42 by (A/229) Spooky

» Happy new year!
Passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico... EmptyWed 06 Jan 2021, 21:48 by (A/229) Spooky

» Fall 2020 Promition List
Passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico... EmptyWed 30 Dec 2020, 10:20 by (C/229) Wallaby

» Application
Passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico... EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 03:06 by (A/229) Cactus

» Mission Night
Passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico... EmptyFri 16 Oct 2020, 19:51 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» KA 50 Training 13 OCT 2020 2000 CDT
Passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico... EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020, 18:34 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» New applicant
Passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico... EmptySat 10 Oct 2020, 03:45 by (A/229) Gator

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico...

4 posters

Go down

Passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico... Empty Passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico...

Post by (A/229) BBall Sat 19 Jan 2019, 23:18

...a few weeks ago headed toward Wisconsin from Phoenix, I was taken back to my way early days of aviation. One of my first jobs out of college was flying night freight in an old, beat up Piper Navajo (basically a bunch of little boxes for Purolator Courier...and Sandia Laboratories). It was a supremely crappy job. Ugly airplane, low pay and fairly dangerous (my college friend died and the guy that handed the job down to me, got it because the guy that was doing it before him, fell asleep and flew into the mountains). The upside was it was loads of single-pilot, multi-engine, IFR, Pilot in Command flight time, and I was going to need all I could get to become qualified to apply to the "real" airlines (read United, Delta, American, Northwest, TWA, Pan Am, etc). The downside was that I had to survive it first....

Here's the blog entry...

www.bubba757.com

I hope you enjoy it....

BBall
(A/229) BBall
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : since 1973? are you kidding me? oh, you mean FLIGHT SIM flights!
Killed In Action: : is a zillion too many times?
Slick No. of landings: : you mean the ones I walked away from?
CAS Tanks destroyed: : not many.
CAS Vehicules destroyed: : more than the tanks.
CAS Bunkers destroyed: : have no idea! were they selling beer there?

Back to top Go down

Passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico... Empty Re: Passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico...

Post by (B/229) MemphisBelle Sun 20 Jan 2019, 11:28

wow, that sounds terrible. I´m glad you did not fall asleep Shocked
(B/229) MemphisBelle
(B/229) MemphisBelle
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 2 Rated Senior Aviator

Slick No. of landings: : more than 100 for sure

Back to top Go down

Passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico... Empty Re: Passing through Albuquerque, New Mexico...

Post by (A/229) BBall Thu 31 Jan 2019, 18:18

Thanks MB!

Yeah...the journeys we call our "lives". All of us have fascinating stories to be sure.

Thanks again for peeking at my little corner of the story-telling part of the internet. Take care, and have a great day!
(A/229) BBall
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : since 1973? are you kidding me? oh, you mean FLIGHT SIM flights!

Back to top Go down

Post by (D/229) Hammer Thu 31 Jan 2019, 22:40

We just had a pilot crash on short final a few months ago here at Wurtsmith a few months back. Pilot fell asleep behind the wheel, crashed short of the runway. Had the feds snooping around the hangars for a few weeks after that, the pilot was coming to pick up some tag-along mechanics for Ypsilanti to head to their stations. Pilot error...hard to believe those mechanics probably wouldnt have made it to Ypsilanti that day had the pilot landed safely.
(D/229) Hammer
(D/229) Hammer
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : Lots
Killed In Action: : Lots more
Slick No. of landings: : all of them

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) BBall Sat 02 Feb 2019, 19:50

Just finished reading the news article about this horrible event. Sad to be sure, but doubly so if it was the end result of some poor "kid" trying to build precious flight time (maybe trying to get to "the bigs" someday...been there, done that).

I just got in from the "red-eye" Anchorage to Minneapolis/St. Paul at 0530 this morning. Long night to be sure (had some "Northern Lights" acting as our companion most of the night). Twenty-two years ago, when I first checked out on the B757, we had trips that were "2-leg red-eyes". We'd launch from KMSP in the evening hours, fly 3.5 hours to KLAX, sit for about two hours, then fly back landing just before sunrise. You'd do this three nights a week, and that would be your months flying.

I tried it ONE TIME, and said, "this is total horse-hockey" (I distinctly remember, descending into KMSP at about 0500 one morning, bent over inputting something into the FMC, and FALLING ASLEEP for about 2 seconds in a "micro-sleep"! I shook myself awake, and said..."never again"). That was the last time I ever flew a 2-leg red-eye (within a year after that, our pilots union [the Airline Pilots Association, or ALPA] told the airline that we would never fly such flights again...and we haven't).

There's a famous story from years ago, whereby an airline (IIRC correctly, it was an Eastern Airlines L-1011) was doing the same kind of "2-leg red-eye" thing, and the crew taxieed out for departure at Atlanta's Hartsfield on the second leg down to Florida somewhere. They were #1 for departure, and after several attempts by the tower to contact the jet, they finally sent a truck out to the runway (with a "cherry picker" type basket...probably a de-ice truck) to investigate. When the dude raised the basket and looked into the cockpit, ALL THREE PILOTS WERE SOUND ASLEEP. Lovely...right?

Fatigue can kill ya in any type of machine...
(A/229) BBall
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Bandit 89 Sun 10 Feb 2019, 21:47

A friend and I were trading falling asleep stories from Northern Canada 30+ years ago. Mine were more of the micro sleep variety but his took the cake. After a long day in a Baron he started a descent (on autopilot) in good weather and fell asleep. He's not sure what woke him before it was too late but we're glad something did.
(A/229) Bandit 89
(A/229) Bandit 89

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum