1stCavDiv (Airmobile)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate to the 229th
Great Dust-Off mission! Pixel

Archived Forum! Click here to View

Latest topics
» Application-Zeek
Great Dust-Off mission! EmptyFri 05 Mar 2021, 03:34 by (A/229) Zeek

» Announcing the 229th Wiki Page
Great Dust-Off mission! EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021, 14:17 by (B/229) Sundog

» Application - Coach
Great Dust-Off mission! EmptySat 30 Jan 2021, 19:42 by (A/229) Spooky

» Happy new year!
Great Dust-Off mission! EmptyWed 06 Jan 2021, 21:48 by (A/229) Spooky

» Fall 2020 Promition List
Great Dust-Off mission! EmptyWed 30 Dec 2020, 10:20 by (C/229) Wallaby

» Application
Great Dust-Off mission! EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 03:06 by (A/229) Cactus

» Mission Night
Great Dust-Off mission! EmptyFri 16 Oct 2020, 19:51 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» KA 50 Training 13 OCT 2020 2000 CDT
Great Dust-Off mission! EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020, 18:34 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» New applicant
Great Dust-Off mission! EmptySat 10 Oct 2020, 03:45 by (A/229) Gator

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Great Dust-Off mission!

4 posters

Go down

Great Dust-Off mission! Empty Great Dust-Off mission!

Post by (A/229) Grey Rider Thu 07 Jun 2018, 03:12

What a fun mission set! I was flying around before chow in the Caucusas server and was looking around in the 'other' comm menu. Figured Id try the CSAR missions. So I went to pick up a downed AI Hornet driver about 11-12 klicks away. Good ADF practice and the flare amd smoke were great! Got to him but only had M60s on the doors and just as the pilot was about to get onboard, my bird finally gave up the ghost and succumbed to her injuries. So I went from rescuer to rescuee. Well, it was time for dinner so I chalked it up as a learning experience. Id never flown an actual SAR designed mission so the learning curve was a little steep but excellent! So after a great big American T-Bone steak and potatoes I went for another flight. Well, lo and behold, I found my shot down self still in the server! "Oh THIS is going to be fun!" So I jumped into another bird and went and rescued my previous crew and the AI. I put miniguns on and 30% fuel this time and stayed low and fast. Oh, man, this is my kinda flying! I'll still go with M60s but knowing first hand where I was going and the threats Id face again gave me the ability to use the miniguns.
Anyway, I found a great new thing to practice. I have no idea how the missions are made so big thanks to whoever does!
(A/229) Grey Rider
(A/229) Grey Rider

Back to top Go down

Great Dust-Off mission! Empty Re: Great Dust-Off mission!

Post by (D/229) gadget Thu 07 Jun 2018, 07:23

it is fun, I did an excellent little mission with another group that has 6 CSAR missions built in to be kicked off (from the comms menu) as you complete each one, reason being each one has a time limit of 60 minutes to reflect the golden hour. There are 8 ships, 4x gunships (angels), 4x slicks (pedro's), this allows you to operate in pairs, gunship providing overwatch as the slicks perform the casevac extractions.

It was inspired by the National Geographic documentary "Inside Combat Rescue" which follows Pararescue teams on deployment in Iraq, complete with "Leroooy Jenkinnnnns" call every time a new CSAR scramble comes in.
(whilst watching the show - I had no idea what was being said, one of the guys on the mission told me and I looked it up on youtube.....what a nunce)

The precedent being, he who rushes in and does not plan....f@#ks it up for everyone

Being time critical, all mission briefings are immediate and ad-hoc, adding to the pressure, but there is more than ample time to get most of the missions done. There is a considerable amount of local traffic, A10s, CH47s etc in and around the airport base of operations, adding to the immersive feel of the mission.

Only caveat is, its in the persian gulf - so you'll need that map if you dont have it.

let me know if your intrested and I'll share the .miz file

I think there is a lot of 229th people who'd probably also enjoy this mission, so you wouldn't be starved for a wingman.
Im pretty sure the mission runs with all the 229th required mods, you dont need anything else. (will double check)
(D/229) gadget
(D/229) gadget
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Aviator

http://avimator.net

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Grey Rider Thu 07 Jun 2018, 13:17

Hey Gadget, yes I would LOVE to have that mission!!
(A/229) Grey Rider
(A/229) Grey Rider

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) BBall Thu 07 Jun 2018, 13:47

Sounds awesome!

GR, that's I think (by far) my favorite type of helo mission. The CSAR stuff just gets the blood pumping and KEEPS it pumping 'till you're back on the pad at the MASH.

Gadget, that missions sounds way cool! Would love to have it also (and maybe our mission/server guru's could put it up for us sometime).

Thanks guys!

Have a great day!
(A/229) BBall
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : since 1973? are you kidding me? oh, you mean FLIGHT SIM flights!
Killed In Action: : is a zillion too many times?
Slick No. of landings: : you mean the ones I walked away from?
CAS Tanks destroyed: : not many.
CAS Vehicules destroyed: : more than the tanks.
CAS Bunkers destroyed: : have no idea! were they selling beer there?

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Grey Rider Thu 07 Jun 2018, 13:54

Great minds think alike, B!!!! Maybe we can work toward restarting the 15th Med Bn eventually! I'm like you, I thrive on the urgency inherent in Dust Off cheers cheers cheers It's the best of all the skillsets rolld into one! Maybe we can get Gadgets mission into the server as part of it? Or however that works, I don't know, but we could play together!
(A/229) Grey Rider
(A/229) Grey Rider

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Grey Rider Thu 07 Jun 2018, 14:12

I do have the Persian Gulf map. That mission in the Caucasus Mountains would be completely awesome(R)! I have been practicing high altitude, uneven ground, and box canyon maneuvering as much as I can. I think I got rid of a random lag spike that was giving me some control/SA issues. It is something to do with mods and/or the rift.
Can't wait Gadget!! I'll be doing the CSAR online now mostly! Looking forward to getting my quals done and checkrides so I can move up the ladder. Boy this is FUUUUUNNN!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Cool Laughing
(A/229) Grey Rider
(A/229) Grey Rider

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) BBall Thu 07 Jun 2018, 15:27

Sounds good GR!

I too, have the Persian Gulf map...but agree on the mountain thing.

Bit off topic (kinda), but since I grew up in a warriors family, and my dear Dad flew "fling-wings" in Vietnam, I've read damn near every book written on flying in that time/place (mostly helo stuff, but tons of other great books too..."Thud Ridge", "Bury Us Upside Down", etc...), but without doubt, my favorites have been the Dustoff reads. "Dead Men Flying", "Dustoff", "Rescue Under Fire"... I too, saw the documentary about combat rescue in Iraq (and one about the "Pedros" in Afghanistan...don't remember the title)...EXCELLENT...both of them.

Me thinks if racing to rescue a bro with the bullets flying doesn't get the heartrate up a bit (like trapping at night on a pitching deck)...well...then....maybe you should take up nekked bull fighting (or somesuch)...lol.

See ya in the virtual skies!
(A/229) BBall
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : since 1973? are you kidding me? oh, you mean FLIGHT SIM flights!
Killed In Action: : is a zillion too many times?
Slick No. of landings: : you mean the ones I walked away from?
CAS Tanks destroyed: : not many.
CAS Vehicules destroyed: : more than the tanks.
CAS Bunkers destroyed: : have no idea! were they selling beer there?

Back to top Go down

Post by (H/229) Skeeter Thu 07 Jun 2018, 17:00

Throw one of those down pilots in the ocean to pick up.
Put in some waves and no fixed point to set your hover by.
(H/229) Skeeter
(H/229) Skeeter
Captain
Platoon Leader
Rated Senior Aviator
Captain Platoon Leader Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Grey Rider Thu 07 Jun 2018, 21:40

I definitely need to read them! I think a sea extraction of a pilot in a raft would be fricking awesome! Especially at night! Is that possible??

(A/229) Grey Rider
(A/229) Grey Rider

Back to top Go down

Post by (H/229) Skeeter Fri 08 Jun 2018, 01:05

yep
(H/229) Skeeter
(H/229) Skeeter
Captain
Platoon Leader
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Grey Rider Fri 08 Jun 2018, 02:59

How? Is it a script or something? I don't know how to add them to missions. I'd like to practice ocean rescue!!
(A/229) Grey Rider
(A/229) Grey Rider

Back to top Go down

Post by (H/229) Skeeter Fri 08 Jun 2018, 04:51

I don't know anything about scripting buy if the CSAR is working any pilot that bails over water can be picked up if I remember right. Six has a mission where you hunt a life raft using his distress beacon.
(H/229) Skeeter
(H/229) Skeeter
Captain
Platoon Leader
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Grey Rider Mon 11 Jun 2018, 14:31

I figured out how get a man in a raft at sea! He was in the static objects menu there wasnt any transportable block to select. The liferaft is in the ships menu, I believe. So put the raft where you want it then put the man on/in it. So now the question is can, or how can, he be lifted?

I have to figure out how to add an ADF or VOR, some kind of tunable homing signal.
(A/229) Grey Rider
(A/229) Grey Rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down