1stCavDiv (Airmobile)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate to the 229th
Requesting Career Advice for a Career in Aviation Pixel

Archived Forum! Click here to View

Latest topics
» Application-Zeek
Requesting Career Advice for a Career in Aviation EmptyFri 05 Mar 2021, 03:34 by (A/229) Zeek

» Announcing the 229th Wiki Page
Requesting Career Advice for a Career in Aviation EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021, 14:17 by (B/229) Sundog

» Application - Coach
Requesting Career Advice for a Career in Aviation EmptySat 30 Jan 2021, 19:42 by (A/229) Spooky

» Happy new year!
Requesting Career Advice for a Career in Aviation EmptyWed 06 Jan 2021, 21:48 by (A/229) Spooky

» Fall 2020 Promition List
Requesting Career Advice for a Career in Aviation EmptyWed 30 Dec 2020, 10:20 by (C/229) Wallaby

» Application
Requesting Career Advice for a Career in Aviation EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 03:06 by (A/229) Cactus

» Mission Night
Requesting Career Advice for a Career in Aviation EmptyFri 16 Oct 2020, 19:51 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» KA 50 Training 13 OCT 2020 2000 CDT
Requesting Career Advice for a Career in Aviation EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020, 18:34 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» New applicant
Requesting Career Advice for a Career in Aviation EmptySat 10 Oct 2020, 03:45 by (A/229) Gator

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Requesting Career Advice for a Career in Aviation

+2
(C/229) Frenchy
(HHC/229) GunfighterSIX
6 posters

Go down

Requesting Career Advice for a Career in Aviation Empty Requesting Career Advice for a Career in Aviation

Post by (C/229) Andrei Dragovic Wed 13 Jan 2016, 02:47

Another year as a lawyer begins for me and I can’t say that I am too thrilled with my current career. Meanwhile, my love and interest in aviation remains at its lifelong high.

At this point, I would appreciate any advice from the real life pilots among you on getting a career as a pilot in aviation.

I am open to both civilian and military, fixed- and rotary- wing aircraft.

In terms of my ‘restrictions’ or circumstances I guess I should list:
1. I reside in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia and am an Australian Citizen.
2. I have Myopia (short-sightedness) which is corrected by lenses to 20/20 vision (To my knowledge, I am still eligible to a Class 1 Aviation medical certificate).

For the moment, I wont list my financial circumstances, but feel free to provide an indication of costs involved in any advice.

Thanks in advance,
Andrei
(C/229) Andrei Dragovic
(C/229) Andrei Dragovic

No. of Flights: : 17

Back to top Go down

Requesting Career Advice for a Career in Aviation Empty Re: Requesting Career Advice for a Career in Aviation

Post by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX Wed 13 Jan 2016, 04:15

What are you interested in flying, what is your end goal?
(HHC/229) GunfighterSIX
(HHC/229) GunfighterSIX
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Battalion Standardization Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4  Battalion Standardization Instructor PilotRated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Requesting Career Advice for a Career in Aviation Empty Re: Requesting Career Advice for a Career in Aviation

Post by (C/229) Andrei Dragovic Wed 13 Jan 2016, 05:23

I guess, I better break this up.

Military
As for the military, well, I would fly anything. In Australia, the Army and Navy fly helicopters whilst the Air Force flies the fixed-wing.

My issue here is I have gone through Defence Recruiting three times now (once for an Aviation role, twice for a naval role, each time as an officer) and been unsuccessful. For all I know, my file has been flagged because I have applied three times (I'd have to make a Freedom of Information Request to verify that one, which as a lawyer I know how to do, but might look a bit suss.  Razz  )  

Technically, I am allowed to keep applying until August 2016, but to be even allowed to apply for a aviation role I will need 2 medical waivers from Single Service. I never have had an issue proving that I have good knowledge about the ADF and the role, but I have tended to be questioned whether I am the 'right fit' for the ADF.  

As for end goal, the done thing appears to be to get in, do your minimum service, then stay in as long as you want, before mustering out and getting a job in civil aviation.

Civil
For civil aviation I am looking at being a commercial pilot for either fixed wing or helicopters. The end goal for fixed wing would probably be working for an airline and going up the chain.

For helicopters the end goal is not so clear, especially since it seems that the helicopter industry over here is small, fragmented and dispersed.
(C/229) Andrei Dragovic
(C/229) Andrei Dragovic

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX Wed 13 Jan 2016, 05:54

Sounds like civil is your best option. Fixed wing is going to cost a lot less and give you more jobs opportunity's. But if helicopter is your dream, then you need to look at cost, and job prospects. Ether way I might look at going out of country for your schooling to save on cost. But look at your budget, think about what type of life style you are whiling to live as you work your way up to that air line or oil rig job. Look to do a lot of travailing, low hour pilot jobs are not going to come to you. I will say not having a wife and kids is going to help you.
If flying is your dream then go for it, make sure you really want it, and talk to a lot of people to make sure you know what its going to take to get it.
(HHC/229) GunfighterSIX
(HHC/229) GunfighterSIX
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Battalion Standardization Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4  Battalion Standardization Instructor PilotRated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Frenchy Wed 13 Jan 2016, 06:19

Hey Andrei. Having gone through the whole ADFA selection process, gotten in and then f#$ed it up at uni (and knowing how competitive the selection process is) I think you might need to look at the civilian side of things as Six said.

Again as Six said, depending on how you want to go about it financially one option is  http://www1.rmit.edu.au/browse;ID=SPGBP070PLAUSCY;STATUS=A ;PAGE_AUTHOR=%20Program%20Guides;SECTION=1; can use FEEHELP to pay for most of it since you are getting an undergrad degree.  It would probably be wise to talk to some aussie airline pilots to see if the program is well regarded and favorable with the airlines themselves.

Another way some of my mates have gone about it paying straight out of their pocket (or loan) to go to a school, trying to get CPL as quickly as possible and then flying freight etc to get paid peanuts for a few years trying to build up hours for ATPL

Frenchy

ps, let me know and I can put you onto a few guys (one who know flies heli's out at the 12 apostles and seems to be doing okay) and 2 other that fly fixed wings.

(C/229) Frenchy
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Andrei Dragovic Wed 13 Jan 2016, 08:36

(C/229) Frenchy wrote:Hey Andrei. Having gone through the whole ADFA selection process, gotten in and then f#$ed it up at uni (and knowing how competitive the selection process is) I think you might need to look at the civilian side of things as Six said.

Yep, Frenchy, ADFA selection was tough. That was my first attempt when I went for an Navigator role (now ACO) in the RAAF. I got all the way to the Officer Selection Board. There were eight other people at my board including a good friend from my AAFC squadron. My friend got in as an Intelligence Officer, whilst the rest of our group crashed and burned. Would have been nice to have been successful and now be flying in the backseat of a Superbug Smile .

Ironically, as difficult as the ADFA recruitment process was going for general entry officer proved to be harder. Each of my next two attempts I got less and less further in the process.

Anyway, Frenchy, I would certainly like to get in touch with your friends at some stage, probably when I thought process on this issue is more concrete.

Last edited by (C/229) Andrei Dragovic on Wed 13 Jan 2016, 23:40; edited 1 time in total
(C/229) Andrei Dragovic
(C/229) Andrei Dragovic

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) NeF Wed 13 Jan 2016, 13:56

Just a quick thought Andrei, Flying can be for Fun only, have you ever thought about paragliding (quite cheap and lotsa fun), gliders and such? Or you need that engine roar?
(B/229) NeF
(B/229) NeF
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Rated Senior Aviator

Killed In Action: : At least a six pack

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229)Samri Wed 13 Jan 2016, 19:01

Hi Andrei,

I sent you a pm.
Give me a call - we can chat.

(C/229)Samri
(C/229)Samri
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4  Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Andrei Dragovic Thu 14 Jan 2016, 04:33

Thanks.
(C/229) Andrei Dragovic
(C/229) Andrei Dragovic

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Highway Sat 16 Jan 2016, 03:03

Given what you've written above, I'd say that a civilian role is more for you, but you really need to think about what it is you want to do, set some goals and make it happen.

For me, I wanted to fly from before I could stand up, and I always wanted to fly attack helicopters. There was never any doubt in my mind about what I wanted to do and how I was going to get there, and everything that I did all the way from about grade 6 was with that goal in mind. From the sound of your previous applications for a military flying career, they may well of spotted that you don't have that same kind of drive that most military aviators have.

Don't take what I say the wrong way, but I'm sure that the other ex-military flyers would say the same thing about their goals being set in stone well before they ever applied. For those roles, places are are limited and the training costs are incredible so the military don't spend that kind of money on the basis that you might like to do it, you have to need to do it.

Take a think about what it is that you really want to do first because the road is long and pretty darned expensive, and the last thing you want to do is end up flying crates of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong eh Samri Wink
(C/229) Highway
(C/229) Highway
Captain
Company Commander
Rated Senior Aviator
Captain Company Commander Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229)Samri Sat 16 Jan 2016, 09:26

iPads and iPhones these days
(C/229)Samri
(C/229)Samri
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Andrei Dragovic Sat 16 Jan 2016, 13:04

Ah well, Highway, trust me my drive was not the issue when the first time I applied for the ADF as a Navigator. I have wanted to be a pilot since I was only five years of age and that desire has remained ever since. My Officer Selection Board saw that I was dead set on getting an aviation officer role.

The issue the Board had was that at that time I was a nervous kid lacking confidence and who needed more life experience. So went off got the life experience, built my confidence and came back again. On the two subsequent occasions I tried to join the ADF, ADF Recruitment refused to allow me to apply for an aviation role for medical reasons (waive-able reasons but Single Service refused to give the waiver).

You are right, Highway. This is not something to be taken lightly. Though I studied law as a back-up plan, I had to fight damn hard to become a lawyer. Further, it is not as if I am a bad lawyer. The feedback I have been getting from my senior colleagues regarding my performance has been overwhelmingly positive and I pride myself on being a hard-working professional. But my heart is just not in it.

I have suppressed my desire to become a pilot in recent years because it was the 'sensible' thing to do. I have done the 'sensible' thing and seen how empty it is.

I am considering this course of action now because it has got to the point where I need to do it.

I would like to thank all of you for advice you have given me. I could not have gotten it such high quality advice from anywhere else.

I am confident that I am now in a position where I know my options, can make plans and set goals.

Thank you and hvala,
Andrei Dragovic
(C/229) Andrei Dragovic
(C/229) Andrei Dragovic

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229)Samri Sat 16 Jan 2016, 19:54

Follow your dreams mate......while ya can!
(C/229)Samri
(C/229)Samri
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down