1stCavDiv (Airmobile)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate to the 229th
DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  Pixel

Archived Forum! Click here to View

Latest topics
» Application-Zeek
DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  EmptyFri 05 Mar 2021, 03:34 by (A/229) Zeek

» Announcing the 229th Wiki Page
DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021, 14:17 by (B/229) Sundog

» Application - Coach
DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  EmptySat 30 Jan 2021, 19:42 by (A/229) Spooky

» Happy new year!
DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  EmptyWed 06 Jan 2021, 21:48 by (A/229) Spooky

» Fall 2020 Promition List
DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  EmptyWed 30 Dec 2020, 10:20 by (C/229) Wallaby

» Application
DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 03:06 by (A/229) Cactus

» Mission Night
DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  EmptyFri 16 Oct 2020, 19:51 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» KA 50 Training 13 OCT 2020 2000 CDT
DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020, 18:34 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» New applicant
DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  EmptySat 10 Oct 2020, 03:45 by (A/229) Gator

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?

+2
(HHC/229) Skullz
(HHC/229) flyer
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  Empty DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?

Post by Guest Wed 31 Jul 2013, 03:49

I had the idea that we could share here our controls, setup, hints, ideas, etc,... I hope this might help some to figure out theirs.

The first thing for me, for helicopter,  is to recreate a cyclic as close as possible as in real. Reason, amplitude. With mine, I can get 2 feet Y axe and 1 foot x axe; how'? I'll show you... About, setup, no curves, no dead zone, just linear. Reason, smooth hovering.

I used copper water pipe, an old cougar joystick and a warthog joystick base.

DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  <a href=DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  Img_2010" />
DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  <a href=DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  Img_2011" />
DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  <a href=DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  20130710" />

No collective for now, I simply use my Warthog Hotas: right throttle (inverse curve) for collective and left throttle for RPM. OLD trustmaster pedals and trackIR (a must).

Hope this help.

P.S. I take no responsibility if you screw up your device affraid  Don't try this at home, I'm a professional...lol!

Back to top Go down

DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  Empty Re: DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?

Post by (HHC/229) flyer Wed 31 Jul 2013, 03:52

Frog...that is one of the coolest things I ever seen...I wish I had the technical ability to do that.
(HHC/229) flyer
(HHC/229) flyer
Major
S1
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Major S1 Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  Empty Re: DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?

Post by Guest Wed 31 Jul 2013, 11:39

That's what I did using the Gardena hose thingy and some 25mm aluminium tube and 25mm conduit fittings.
Took the plug from the base de-soldered it then attached pin header jump wires female to left over tails from base with male counter part attached to wire coming down pipe.

The plug from the base fits nicely into the small hole in the centre of the Gardena hose thingy with a little hot melt glue very easy to get the offset right.

How do you find the throw now Frog I found I was having to lean forward to far and the left and right is just to much I had to adjust the X saturation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Jul 2013, 11:50

(A/229) flyer wrote:Frog...that is one of the coolest things I ever seen...I wish I had the technical ability to do that.
Thanks flyer, just need to hire a plumber lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Jul 2013, 12:09

(B/229) McCoy wrote: How do you find the throw now Frog I found I was having to lean forward to far and the left and right is just to much I had to adjust the X saturation.
Nice McCoy, you should bring pic. It's very cool to see what we can do with imagination. I've only been inspired by seing pics form others. Sorry for my poor English but what do you mean by how I found throw?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Jul 2013, 13:59

FlyingFrog what I mean by throw is before you did the extension and looking top down onto the stick moving it in a complete circle then imagine a line drawing that circle infront of your eyes now you have an imaginary circle say the size of a dinner plate.
Now add the extension from floor up do the same again and now the circle is bigger than before meaning your physical arm movement is much greater than before.

I found that in order to replicate the same movement as before I had to saturate the X axis for both X and Y axis in the options of DCS, otherwise my legs had to be so far apart I could not touch my pedals and to use the full pitch I either had to sit all the way forward meaning I could not pull back or sit all the way back not reaching the pedals again and unable to push all the way forward.

If that makes sense I will do a pic but I didn't take a step by step build pic like you have I sort of made it up as I went along but I will be venturing onto a collective very soon by cannibalising and X52pro and as there will be some downtime from playing I might just open her up again and take pics.

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) Skullz Wed 31 Jul 2013, 14:43

Hey guys, I'm interested in making this for my Wharthog but what are the deminsions? Also some detailed directions for wiring would be nice.
(HHC/229) Skullz
(HHC/229) Skullz
Lt Col
Battalion Commanding Officer
Rated Senior Aviator
Lt Col Battalion Commanding Officer Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Jul 2013, 15:04

(A/229) Skullz wrote:Hey guys, I'm interested in making this for my Wharthog but what are the deminsions? Also some detailed directions for wiring would be nice.

Skullz

Unscrew the plug and ease it out gently there is some slack on the wires then you can see the orientation and colours used TM have used different colours in different builds for the TMWH.

You will also need the Gardena hose adapter Gardena 39035.

What I did was take a pic of the back with wires in place before de-soldering just so I had a record of the wires, there are 6 in total one of which is thicker and black and is soldered to the side of the plug female din.

Then just find some matching wire colours or just use network cable and then label them up as you do them so like this orange = red and so on just so when you get to soldering the female din back on you know which one is which.

As for size and height I suppose its down to your personal preference, trying to get an actual schematic of the actual Huey stick I found impossible online someone who has access to a real Huey would be able to take the measurements for us if anyone here has that type of access or even go as far as standing a piece of board up against it and then sketching around the profile so we have a template that we could download and match the curvature and dimension exactly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Jul 2013, 15:16

Here's how I roll please ignore the mess and wires I have no time to clean up as it takes away important flying time LOL.

[url=[img=https://2img.net/r/ihimg/scaled/thumb/546/xtte.jpg]][img=https://2img.net/r/ihimg/scaled/thumb/546/xtte.jpg][/url]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Jul 2013, 16:37

(A/229) FlyingFrog wrote:
(B/229) McCoy wrote: How do you find the throw now Frog I found I was having to lean forward to far and the left and right is just to much I had to adjust the X saturation.
Nice McCoy, you should bring pic. It's very cool to see what we can do with imagination. I've only been inspired by seing pics form others. Sorry for my poor English but what do you mean by how I found throw?

You are absolutely right disregard what I said I think I must have got confused with the axis adjustment for planes not the Huey as you would never use the full roll travel of the axis as you would be beyond the limits of the Huey same applies to pitch, I think what I said must jut be for planes as you would need to use the full throw in a plane for a roll or tight turn etc etc.

I just reset mine no saturation or curves and its much better now just need to cut a U out of the front of my seat when the misses ain't looking LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Jul 2013, 17:31

Wow, nice setup McCoy. 3 screens, I hope to have that. I only have second monitor for TS, Map and mission info.
No worries about wires, I flough a while with wires everywhere, I only made cleanup recently once I was fine with my setup.

To answer, your question about throw, as you found, no need to do big roll with helicopter. However I get about 1 foot of X axe even whitout having to spread my legs. How, I tried to get the horizontale bar as close as possible of the handle in order to clear my legs the most possible. This way I can roll even when flaring. My handle can goes a bit over my legs but no so much. A pic paints a thousand words, 2 pics=2000?

DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  Cycl_f10DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  Cycl_m10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Jul 2013, 17:43

Thanks Frog unfortunately my bends don't come any tighter than the ones I have the 20mm ones are like yours I may change it yet I just could not find a 20mm pipe that was stiff and had no flex in it or to much weight to it.

If I could get a profile of the actual stick in a 1/1 scale I could get the pipe made top that spec and then just pop the 2 fittings on each end if anyone has this or knows where to find it please link me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Jul 2013, 17:53

(A/229) Skullz wrote:Hey guys, I'm interested in making this for my Warthog but what are the dimensions? Also some detailed directions for wiring would be nice.

I trow away my plan, or probably only missed where I put it, bur sure, I can provide dimensions, and share them. However, you'll have to adjust your owns to fit with the height of you chair.

In regard of chair, I use a car bench which provide stability, is adjustable, and can still comfortable for long rides. I'm curious, who can guess which model of car my bench is from. Question 

About wires, since I made the extension between the handle and lock, I simply cut wires and welded cat5 network between.
DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  Wire10

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) LiveBait Thu 01 Aug 2013, 12:19

(B/229) McCoy wrote:but I will be venturing onto a collective very soon by cannibalising and X52pro .

DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  9413098311_60e213d606_o

This is my X52 collective. No twist grip though. I find it works nicely, but i really dont have anything to compare it with. Unfortunately, i didn,t take any pics of the process, but if you need any help with yours, be glad to help.
Sorry for the image quality, taken with my phone.

LiveBait
(C/229) LiveBait
(C/229) LiveBait
Major
Rated Master Aviator
Major Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Aug 2013, 12:52

Nice work LiveBait! For myself I think the collective is the most difficult part to do. I was missing inspiration to make mine but this inspire me. As McCoy would say, I could "cannibalising" my TS Cougar.

You mixed the joystick with the hotas? You get buttons fonctionnal? Does it tend to descend? What you did to keep it on position?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Aug 2013, 18:14

Wow! You guys are the pros. I've just got a MSFFB 2, Saitek rudder pedals and TrackIR.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Aug 2013, 18:29

(C/229)LiveBait wrote:
(B/229) McCoy wrote:but I will be venturing onto a collective very soon by cannibalising and X52pro .

DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  9413098311_60e213d606_o

This is my X52 collective. No twist grip though. I find it works nicely, but i really dont have anything to compare it with. Unfortunately, i didn,t take any pics of the process, but if you need any help with yours, be glad to help.
Sorry for the image quality, taken with my phone.

LiveBait

Livebait that's so funny we are on the same wave length I was just sitting here at my desk fumbling around with the stripped down X52pro and you have already done it nice work I will try to replicate it

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) LiveBait Thu 01 Aug 2013, 21:23

Yes all the buttons are functional, there was about 12-15 wires to reconnect. I also had to remove the circuit board from the joystick base and put it into the base of the throttle.
 To keep the arm from dropping i just replaced the plastic tension knob with some washers and a screw, and that works well, i can let it go and it stays put.
 If i can do this anyone can...
(C/229) LiveBait
(C/229) LiveBait
Major
Rated Master Aviator
Major Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Showtime817 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 19:32

(A/229) Skullz wrote:Hey guys, I'm interested in making this for my Wharthog but what are the deminsions? Also some detailed directions for wiring would be nice.

Skulls,

What I did for the wiring to extend my Cougar was a PS2 extended cable. You have clip one of the male end pins though, easy to do.

Showtime.
(A/229) Showtime817
(A/229) Showtime817
First Lieutenant
Company XO
Rated Senior Aviator
First Lieutenant Company XO Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Razorback Tue 27 Aug 2013, 10:10

Hi guys,

Some pictures of my setup:

DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  Flightgear_1_zps8ba5acb8

DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  Flightgear_2_zps42038c23

DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  Flightgear_3_zps94119824

DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  Flightgear_4_zps93b81d46

DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  Flightgear_5_zpsc67be42e

DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  Flightgear_6_zps90c8c3e8

DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  Flightgear_7_zps94d8c83c

DCS: What controls do you have to fly Huey?  Flightgear_8_zps83064f7e

and of course TrackIR Very Happy
(B/229) Razorback
(B/229) Razorback
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Aug 2013, 10:18

That's an awesome set up there Razor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Aug 2013, 10:53

Wow Razor, your setup rock!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:10

That is pretty pro Razor! What buttons have you assigned on your collective?

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Razorback Tue 27 Aug 2013, 14:23

Hi GreyKnight,

On the collective I have assigned:

Engine start button
Main fuel switch
Governor auto/manual
Decrease/Increase turbine RPM
Kneeboard functions
Thottle

On the cyclic I have assigned:

Armament selector
Sights
Weapon release
Trimmer
TrackIR reset
Search light / Landing light
Night vision goggles functions
View

And I still have buttons unassigned Shocked
(B/229) Razorback
(B/229) Razorback
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Aug 2013, 16:24

Razor that joint the cyclic pivots on is that a Harvey Spicer joint or a cv joint.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next