1stCavDiv (Airmobile)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate to the 229th
Debrief Flight night 01/09/16 Pixel

Archived Forum! Click here to View

Latest topics
» Application-Zeek
Debrief Flight night 01/09/16 EmptyFri 05 Mar 2021, 03:34 by (A/229) Zeek

» Announcing the 229th Wiki Page
Debrief Flight night 01/09/16 EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021, 14:17 by (B/229) Sundog

» Application - Coach
Debrief Flight night 01/09/16 EmptySat 30 Jan 2021, 19:42 by (A/229) Spooky

» Happy new year!
Debrief Flight night 01/09/16 EmptyWed 06 Jan 2021, 21:48 by (A/229) Spooky

» Fall 2020 Promition List
Debrief Flight night 01/09/16 EmptyWed 30 Dec 2020, 10:20 by (C/229) Wallaby

» Application
Debrief Flight night 01/09/16 EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 03:06 by (A/229) Cactus

» Mission Night
Debrief Flight night 01/09/16 EmptyFri 16 Oct 2020, 19:51 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» KA 50 Training 13 OCT 2020 2000 CDT
Debrief Flight night 01/09/16 EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020, 18:34 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» New applicant
Debrief Flight night 01/09/16 EmptySat 10 Oct 2020, 03:45 by (A/229) Gator

January 2023
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Debrief Flight night 01/09/16

3 posters

Go down

Debrief Flight night 01/09/16 Empty Debrief Flight night 01/09/16

Post by (D/229) Xtra Thu 01 Sep 2016, 21:35

Nice to see such a big turn out. Came in later but was able to join for 2 flights.
Good fun and hopefully we can repeat these turnouts!

A view comments I would like to make:

1. Use one radio where all elements will be on, I.e. FM where Bandit Tiger and any other callsign who are participating. Everyone will listen out on this freq but flight leads will talk on this freq.

2. Acknowledge orders given by flight lead in gun order. 1-2-3-etc.

3. When using multiple slick flights it might be a good idea to use completely different callsigns. Confusion might occure when having a Bandit 1-2 and Bandit 2-2 in different flights. Or always reply with your full callsign. Idea might be:
A coy: Bandit flight
B coy: Killer Spade flight
C coy: North Flag flight
D coy: Tiger flight
These are some of the callsigns used in Vietnam by the respective company.

4. Dont forget to practise your individual flight skills once in a while aswell. Straight and level flight, doing accelerations and decelerations while maintaining altitude, level turns, etc.

5. The SOP only describes a view basic radio calls. We might want to add a view more, but also try to use SR if you are only flying with 2 helicopters and practise check ins and freq changes to increase proficiency with the radios.

For all flight leads and/or Coy cmds who are running training flights or missions. Feel free to post some highlights in the debrief thread with the respective date, so the entire battalion can read these lessons learned aswell.
(D/229) Xtra
(D/229) Xtra
Major
Company Commander
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Major Company Commander Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Debrief Flight night 01/09/16 Empty Re: Debrief Flight night 01/09/16

Post by (B/229) Cib Fri 02 Sep 2016, 08:46

I was personally over the moon at the turnout although it meant having to rejig the plans on the go. When I got onto TS half an hour before the scheduled start there where quite a few people already on. Enthusiastic but also possibly due to a mix up with start time.
I think Zulu time should be standard across the Battalion for scheduling flights. Certainly as far as B and D company announcements anyway.

I had previously asked for Gizzy's assistance to help keep things organised and it worked a treat (thank you), I know there where some rumblings of discontent about being kept in the dark (Bandit 1-4) study but it takes a lot of concentration to monitor 2 freqs and there may be a simpler way to go between fox mike and uniform. Need to set up switch on the hotas for that.

Apologies for RL intruding on short finals to a hot LZ but number 2 took them in and I rejoined flight after getting jugs of milk and cups for some guests.

@Xtra we had a pretty good coms system going earlier in the night but after the first drop when all the slicks where together we merged into one internal freq for all slicks, that was probably a mistake in hindsight and we will follow your suggestions the next time.

The need for a larger mission was apparent immediately. Most of mine have 9 slots we had at least 14 pilots at one time. Apologies to anyone who connected to TS and could not be heard I saw we lost Sleipner and Razorback during the flight in the TS log and never knew till too late.

I was surprised by the quality of the flying from the pilots who are either new or returning after long absences. Once we started getting 10 ships in formation it got a bit ragged although it is rare we can practice such a large flight.

Special praise to Blade who was leading a flight and he is a relative newcomer. Well done mate it ain't easy Smile

I will schedule another of these for next thursday and I hope you can all come again. I hope to be able to produce a mission that can accomodate everyone and hopefully showtime could add slots to his latest happy valley?

With regard the use of SR. It worked well but it was only very late on when I found out I could mute mic AND headphones in TS. It was horrible listening to someone broadcasting on both TS and SR at the same time. Another lesson learn't.

Very good practice for the Battalion Op coming later this month. Again thanks all for participating and lets channel the enthusiasm to do it again next week
(B/229) Cib
(B/229) Cib
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) evilivan Fri 02 Sep 2016, 09:24

(B/229) Cib wrote:I know there where some rumblings of discontent about being kept in the dark (Bandit 1-4) study

Hey, I resemble that comment! In my defense, I was being a bit of an impatient c*ck.

It was excellent to have such a big crowd  Very Happy

Even with my radio rotary mapped to my controls, I found leading the flight and managing radios challenging; I want (need) more practice at that.

Thanks to Cib for organising, Gizzy for providing the environment (can we try a version with all those hesco bastion's at the airfield removed and see if that improves the frame rates?), and Xtra for the debriefs.

Looking forward to the next one.

(B/229) evilivan
Second Lieutenant
Unit Training Officer
Rated Senior Aviator
Second Lieutenant Unit Training Officer Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down