1stCavDiv (Airmobile)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate to the 229th
Oculus Rift Review Pixel

Archived Forum! Click here to View

Latest topics
» Application-Zeek
Oculus Rift Review EmptyFri 05 Mar 2021, 03:34 by (A/229) Zeek

» Announcing the 229th Wiki Page
Oculus Rift Review EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021, 14:17 by (B/229) Sundog

» Application - Coach
Oculus Rift Review EmptySat 30 Jan 2021, 19:42 by (A/229) Spooky

» Happy new year!
Oculus Rift Review EmptyWed 06 Jan 2021, 21:48 by (A/229) Spooky

» Fall 2020 Promition List
Oculus Rift Review EmptyWed 30 Dec 2020, 10:20 by (C/229) Wallaby

» Application
Oculus Rift Review EmptyMon 02 Nov 2020, 03:06 by (A/229) Cactus

» Mission Night
Oculus Rift Review EmptyFri 16 Oct 2020, 19:51 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» KA 50 Training 13 OCT 2020 2000 CDT
Oculus Rift Review EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020, 18:34 by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX

» New applicant
Oculus Rift Review EmptySat 10 Oct 2020, 03:45 by (A/229) Gator

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Oculus Rift Review

+6
(D/229) Xtra
(B/229) Cib
(HHC/229) Strut
(C/229) LiveBait
(A/229) Coyote
(HHC/229) flyer
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Oculus Rift Review Empty Oculus Rift Review

Post by (C/229) Highway Fri 24 Jun 2016, 14:16

So after a long, long 6 month wait, my Oculus finally arrived.

Oculus Rift Review Image_zps7gondztq

I'm not new to Virtual Reality, I've played around with a few experiences from Google Cardboard to the Oculus / Samsung collaboration of the Gear VR over the past year or so. I've seen what was a disappointing show from Samsung and the Gear VR start to mature and it did nothing but convince me that VR is the future of simming overall, not just for us aviation has been's and wanna be's.

Compared to what you'd actually pay for one of those experiences, the actual Oculus itself is a bargain coming in at $649 (including tax). That's still pretty expensive in some people's eyes, and maybe it is, it comes down to what you'll get out of it and I hope to give you an unbiased view of what lingers behind the shiny Oculus fresnel lenses for those that wish to don them.

Starting with the box itself, its fabulously constructed and provides excellent protection for your expensive new toy as it makes its way to you from the manufacturing plant in China. It opens more like an assassins sniper rifle case than something with IT kit inside. All of the parts are held in place with small retaining clips, and ties and it adds to the feeling that you're getting what you paid for.

Oculus Rift Review Image_zpsdtum9yoj

The kit comprises of several components. Firstly there is the wireless XBOX controller and accompanying receiver that needs a USB 2.0 port, and the small Oculus remote that comes with a tether so that it's always right there whilst you're in the rift and you done have to scramble around like an idiot.

Oculus Rift Review Image_zpsx6u6gakn

Oculus Rift Review Image_zpstcg6r19g

Next have the sensor stand. There's often a lot of confusion about where this needs to go with a lot of people complaining that it gets in the way when you're using your monitor. I'll put that to be straight away... It can go almost anywhere you want it, as long as it can see the Oculus unit itself. It can go to the side of the monitor, beside you or of course in front of you if there is space for it.

Oculus Rift Review Image_zpsjpolxqdb

It stands about 10 inches high and has a good weight to the base so that it won't be knocked over too easily by your flailing hands during your first experiences. There is a long USB cable that needs a USB 3.0 port to function that will allow you to position it wherever you want it.

Finally, the item you came for, the Oculus itself. It's a beautifully finished piece of kit. Much more high end than the Gear VR which is a cheap mass produced hollow piece of plastic by comparison. It feels expensive with a deep matt black finish and high quality head webbing to hold it firmly in place and most of all, it's surprisingly light.

Oculus Rift Review Image_zpsucnwkhfb

It has a single cable that is discreetly and neatly guided from the unit itself around the back of the webbing and then goes on for about 10 feet where it splits into the HDMI and another USB 3.0 connector.

Oculus Rift Review Image_zps8h6dqlur

For those of you good at math or keeping score, that's 2 x USB 3.0 ports, 1 x USB 2.0 port and 1 HDMI port. For those of you currently connecting your PC to your TV / Monitor via HDMI, if you don't have a second HDMI output in your graphics cards, you may need to look at getting an adapter so that you can run that display out of it instead as you will need both your Oculus and a display.

Before you start plugging anything in though, you need to install the software. Visiting the Oculus website leads you to the lightweight installer package which then pulls down the drivers and required software after you've installed it.

Oculus Rift Review Image_zpsjczgov0q

Oculus Rift Review 2016-06-23%205_zps8uk8exnd

This is where I ran into my first snag. I knew which ports i needed well before I ordered my Oculus (and my new computer to run it), but you kind of forget which ports are which and how many USB devices are kicking around... My Track IR was displaced, my G930 wireless headset (which weighs more than the Oculus by the way), and my Saitek Pro-Flight Yoke had to make way for the Oculus.

Once installed, you're lead through the setup process which is actually very straightforward. Plug in the Stand, the software checks the connection and that it functions, then on to the next piece. Plug in the Oculus, check. Plug in the XBOX receiver, check. Turn on the Oculus remote and now the fun begins.

Oculus Rift Review Image_zpswoicqm8o

Part II & pictures to follow in the morning!

Last edited by (C/229) Highwayman on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 21:58; edited 1 time in total
(C/229) Highway
(C/229) Highway
Captain
Company Commander
Rated Senior Aviator
Captain Company Commander Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Oculus Rift Review Empty Re: Oculus Rift Review

Post by (HHC/229) flyer Fri 24 Jun 2016, 14:59

Nice review Highway...looking forward to part II
(HHC/229) flyer
(HHC/229) flyer
Major
S1
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Major S1 Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (D/229) Hammer Fri 24 Jun 2016, 16:20

Be warned - fly Nevada and not the Black Sea map. You will get sick after a few minutes. Its not as bad in Nevada as it is in Black Sea, but some shaders arent rendered properly and will leave you feeling very disoriented, especially flying near the coastline.
(D/229) Hammer
(D/229) Hammer
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : Lots
Killed In Action: : Lots more
Slick No. of landings: : all of them

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Cib Fri 24 Jun 2016, 16:23

Oooooh you left it at the good part. I was reading faster and faster then the end Doh. Very nice review so far, bet its sensory overload with the Jetseat too Very Happy
(B/229) Cib
(B/229) Cib
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) flyer Fri 24 Jun 2016, 21:48

By the way...got my Jetseat yesterday...I'll do a review after I install and use it for a few flights but I'm expecting good results...sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread...back to Oculus Rift...excitement builds... Very Happy
(HHC/229) flyer
(HHC/229) flyer
Major
S1
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Highway Fri 24 Jun 2016, 22:47

So with the unboxing done, software and drivers installed, and everything plugged in and ready to go, it's time to put the headset on.

The headphones angle outwards on small hinges to allow you to get them over your ears, and the triangle at the rear of the webbing goes to the back of your head, below your crown. Then the Oculus comes down over your face and the first mistakes are made...

Usually, if your like me patience is a virtue that you sometimes lack when you're excited. I can't state enough how important it is to take your time at this point and get the fit of the Oculus right and this is the first issue that I have with it.

If you're patient and take your time, your first experiences will be breathtaking and you will be amazed. If not you'll be in a blurry world of discomfort and less than impressed, and this is where it makes your love and passion for something make you feel like a nerdy impulse buyer if you're not careful.

TAKE YOUR TIME!

However, that's not necessarily what I have issue with, it's that after taking your time, and being amazed, the first thing that you usually want to do is share that experience.

"Honey, come look at this, it's frikken awesome" you call out, forgetting how much you've been looking forward to this and how careful you were to get the fit right. Your loved one sits down, dons the headset without any of that preparation and they take it off almost straight away with quotes like "You paid how much for this?"

Then there's the next issue. If you did take your time and help them fit it right, now you've got to do it again for yourself and everytime your kids want to use it, you'll have to spend 5 minutes re-adjusting everything over and over.

What could they do about it? Honestly, I don't know if they can do anything. But it's something to consider when showing off your pride and joy.

So. You've got it on, it's all fit perfectly, you've angled the lens, set the eye spacing, gotten comfortable, welcome to the rift...

Oculus Rift Review Oculus-dreamdeck-screenshots-1

Your first experience is of a geometric wilderness, and the first thing that strikes you here is "Where did that sound come from?" It's behind you.

Point 1. The headphones, aren't that bad... In fact I found them surprisingly good. They represent positional audio really well and have a fairly good range of sound. I fully expected to take these off as soon as I finished the setup, but I think I'll stick with them for a while.

Ok, so you have 3D positional audio, there was a splash behind you... and then you turn... and then you take your first sharp intake of breath when you realise how smooth and accurate the tracking is. This is no Track IR. This is no, turn 30 degrees, game moves 90 degrees and eyes strain out of your sockets to see the screen, this is exact, precise, 1 for 1 incredibly precise freedom of movement and it's fan-bloody-tastick!

After a minute of getting your bearings, the screen fades and you're transported to an Alien world.

Oculus Rift Review Oculus-dreamdeck-screenshots-4

Ok. This is more like it you think... Wow, look at the stars, look at that ship, whoa, what the hell! as you duck when the Alien reaches for you!

Point 2. Depth perception is frikken amazing. I really felt like it was going to touch my face, and my subconscious reacted and I moved out of the way. This isn't an ordinary game now you're thinking. I'm here, on a barren moon, with an Alien life form.

After realising that our Alien friend isn't going to tear us apart and make soup from our bones, you settle in a little more, and the screen fades again.

Oculus Rift Review Oculus-dreamdeck-screenshots-5

No so sure that this fella isn't though as he comes around the corner. At this point I remembered that I had a controller in my hand and tried to run! Bugger, fixed to the spot. Oh well, time to see what his breath smells like...

Point 3. The headphones are quote loud! As our Trex friend here starts shrieking, you realise just how loud the headphones are. This is where I decided to stick with them for a while. Be warned however, the do leak and others around you will hear what you hear too...

Screen fades, again and then your out on the rooftop for your first "mild" experience.

Oculus Rift Review Oculus-dreamdeck-screenshots-3

This is where the Oculus really shines and it begins to tie all of the pieces together. Your first reaction is to look down, whoa, that's cool...

Point 4. Bang. Ouch! Make sure your surroundings are clear of obstacles for the activity that you will be undertaking!

At this point I was sat in my racing / flight chair, but in my head I was 70 stories up on a sky scraper looking at the street below me. I swear if I'd had a breeze blowing in my face I would have almost pissed my pants. As I leant forward to look over the edge I hit my head on my steering wheel. Oculus can be used whilst moving around... Much more so than we're used to.

That's the end of the welcome, and you're transported to a living room with the VR menu before you.

Part III later where I'll look at my experiences with DCS, FSX, Elite Dangerous and Project CARS.

(C/229) Highway
(C/229) Highway
Captain
Company Commander
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) flyer Fri 24 Jun 2016, 23:07

Still watching...
(HHC/229) flyer
(HHC/229) flyer
Major
S1
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Coyote Fri 24 Jun 2016, 23:13

Great stuff! Can't wait for the next segment!
(A/229) Coyote
(A/229) Coyote

No. of Flights: : Not enough
Killed In Action: : 90% success rate
Slick No. of landings: : Make it to the ground every time

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Highway Fri 24 Jun 2016, 23:36

Project CARS.

Come on, you didn't think I'd break straight into DCS did you? Well I could, but I won't.

Project CARS is a full fidelity racing simulator for those that aren't familiar with it. It features cars from 50cc carts, through road cars like my own Toyota 86 GTS through to GT3 touring cars, F1's and LMPs.

These guys were adamant that VR was always a high priority for them when building the game and it shows. Everything from the layout in the Rift to the menu structures work well and are comfortable to use.

I have every setting as high as it wil go in pCARS and I fired up the Forumla Gulf 1000 at Spa for my Oculus racing debut and my oh my...

I've always loved pCARS, the graphics are amazing, the fidelity is top notch and the multiplayer is smooth. When I added the Gametrix Jetseat Project CARS took a massive step forward for me with the immersion, but this takes it above and beyond.

My first lap was slow and steady as I got used to the Oculus and the view. This was my first real outing and experience, so I'll draw a lot of conclusions here. Firstly, my setup.

I don't smoke, I don't drink much at all, I don't fish, don't have a boat, don't have expensive collections of stuff. I do however have a vice for computers, so...

I run a water cooled Intel i7-5820k over clocked to 3.8GHz on an MSI Godlike Gaming Carbon motherboard with 32GB of G.Skill Trident Z 3200 DDR5. Graphics powering the Oculus come from a single MSI GTX 1080 Founders Edition via the single HDMI 2 port and my 65" Panasonic 4K screen via 1 of the 3 Display Port 1.2 ports.

I have a Vision Racer VR3 racing seat that I've modified to hold not just my Logitech G-27, but also my Gametrix KW-908, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek ProFlight pedals and makeshift Saitek X52 collective.

I've been used to gaming at 4K for a while now and the clarity is amazing, and this was my biggest fear with the Oculus. After having run at such a high resolution for so long, would it seem blurry anyway?

Yes and No...

Yes, the resolution is lower. That much is obvious but in Project cars you don't notice it that much. Generally, it is just as good except that on the horizon line the level of detail isn't what I'm used to, and I can notice a slight screen door effect. What the hell is that you say?

Move your face close up to your monitor, see how you can start to see the individual pixels? That's the screen door effect. Let me add here though that it's slight and not a major thing, but it is there and at some points you will see it.

The in race HUD is a lot smaller, and it's quite tricky to read some text, but that said I don't play pCARS to read, and within a lap or two, I'd forgotten it was there, all about the screen door effect and I was starting to get into the rhythm and the apex of each corner.

Then something odd happened... I had a really weird feeling as my brain really got into sync with what was happening in the virtual world and what was happening in the real world... My arms were doing the same things. I turned the wheel 45 degrees to the right in the real world, and in the virtual world my arms were turning 45 degrees as well, but when my virtual right hand reached down to shift gear and my real hand didn't my brain said "wait, what the hell is going on, I can't feel my right arm moving!"

I didn't feel nauseous, I just felt... Odd, I don't know how to explain it, but my brain was so convinced that those virtual hands were my real hands that the out of sync movement really hit me.

I got over it though after a few minutes and laps came and went, as did time. In the blink of an eye I had run 15 laps of Spa over around 45 minutes. Then I looked at my lap times. My best ever lap time at Spa in free practice mode with no special car setup is 2 minutes and 25 seconds. By my 4th lap of Spa with the Oculus and the tires having warmed up, I matched it, then beat it, then beat it again, and again, and again until on my 2nd last lap I recorded a 2.22 knocking 3 full seconds off my best ever time that I'd done before.

Oculus rules the race track!

Next up, DCS 2.0
(C/229) Highway
(C/229) Highway
Captain
Company Commander
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) LiveBait Sat 25 Jun 2016, 04:25

Jeeezus man, i already wanted one, but now............

Great write-up Hwy.
(C/229) LiveBait
(C/229) LiveBait
Major
Rated Master Aviator
Major Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Highway Sat 25 Jun 2016, 05:29

DCS 2.0

So now we get to what we came for. This will be broken into two parts, 1st, DCS in general, then I'll get to Helicopters.

Firing up DCS for the first time brings you into a virtual hanger stood under the wing root of a Su-27 and the sense of scale hits you, the SU-27 is a big plane!

The DCS menu appears before you, no tweaks, no changes, just the standard DCS menu. It works though and that's what is important, it's pretty easy to navigate through the menu's and select what you want.

I focused my first batch of testing on the L-39 as there is no HUD and it's easy to fly, and it didn't disappoint. For the first time ever with my experience in DCS, the scale of the cockpit around me felt perfect, and everything was where I expected it to be, even my virtual hands holding the stick and the throttle mating up with real life (here comes that feeling again).

Looking out of the canopy at the ground for the first time, you KNOW that your 12 ft in the air and exactly where that the wing beside you is in relation to the edge of the revetment. OK, I'm liking this I think, then I notice that everything is a bit blurry, well not quite everything, but the horizon sure is, and the ground textures don't look quite as sharp as I'm used to, and although I know where 300 Meters is on the Altimeter, it's a little bit out of focus...

OK, let's start up this bird. I move the mouse, nope. Oh wait, what's that yellow rectangle in front of my face? I look at the battery switch and the rectangle goes green... mouse click, on... OK, so that's how it works.

I work my way through the startup sequence and then gently ease in the throttle. Wow, that's impressive, I can sense the aircraft moving now. I know that sounds odd, but it's really different to have that depth of field work as you expect it in the real world.

I line up on the runway, set my flaps, push the throttles forward reach 200 KMPH and ease back on the Oh My God I'm actually flying! The depth of field when you're close to the ground is superb... no more looking at the slip indicator, I just know that I'm slipping to the left and my brain has already instructed my left foot to put in a little pedal. This is going to make flying so much easier!

I flew around the circuit taking my time, flying the proper legs and get myself lined up on final, still thinking how amazing it is that I can tell how high I am without even having to think about it.

I line up on final, gear down, another notch down to full flaps, keep my descent rate constant and oh sweet Jesus it's good as you cross the threshold, cut the throttle and I made what I swear was the smoothest virtual landing that I have ever made.

In review though, here are the highlights because it's not all roses...

1. Resolution is low, and it feels a lot lower than the 4k I'm used to...
2. Textures are blurry, much more so than in any other Oculus game I've played.
3. Cockpit gauges are harder to read, but they're good enough
4. The interaction rectangle is a Pain in the ass!
5. It can sometime be difficult to interact with hard to reach switches
6. Depth perception is FANTASTIC
7. Sensation of speed is great
8. Feeling of flight is greatly enhanced

I will say that DCS is thus far the worst Oculus experience that I have had out of all of the games I have played, but here's the real test of truth. Would I take it off and go back to 4K and Track IR?

Not a bloody chance. Now I'm off to fly a Huey!
(C/229) Highway
(C/229) Highway
Captain
Company Commander
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) Strut Sat 25 Jun 2016, 05:46

I bought the company !
(HHC/229) Strut
(HHC/229) Strut
Major
Battalion XO
Rated Senior Aviator
Major Battalion XO Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Highway Sat 25 Jun 2016, 06:27

DCS 2.0 part 2... The Huey.

Buy one. I don't think I need to say any more...

OK, I will. I've since tweaked my settings a little and things aren't as blurry as they were. Still some things aren't as clear as I'm used to but I really don't care the trade off for the depth perception and impression of speed that were good in the L-39 are 10 fold in a helicopter.

Flying around the golf course near Nellis has never been so much fun, I can perceive side slip, I know if I'm climbing or descending without having to look at the VSI for confirmation, hovering is a breeze, it really is a game changer.

If only I could get rid of that damned rectangle!

More flying to do before I finish this...
(C/229) Highway
(C/229) Highway
Captain
Company Commander
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) Strut Sat 25 Jun 2016, 07:20

can you do a screen shot of the rectangle ?
(HHC/229) Strut
(HHC/229) Strut
Major
Battalion XO
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Highway Sat 25 Jun 2016, 07:35

Not yet, it only shows in the Rift itself... Haven't figured out how to take a screenshot of what I'm actually seeing, only what the 2D image on screen looks like and it doesn't show there...
(C/229) Highway
(C/229) Highway
Captain
Company Commander
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) Strut Sat 25 Jun 2016, 07:38

Be interested to know if Rift is in ROF and what its like.
(HHC/229) Strut
(HHC/229) Strut
Major
Battalion XO
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Cib Sat 25 Jun 2016, 07:42

Great stuff keep it coming Smile
(B/229) Cib
(B/229) Cib
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Highway Sat 25 Jun 2016, 08:56

(C/229) Strut wrote:Be interested to know if Rift is in ROF and what its like.

I believe that it isn't. I was reading an article last night that stated that 1C:GS (formerly 777 Studios) cancelled their plans to include VR support until at least Battle of Moscow was finished.

They actually blamed Oculus and said that they were uncooperative with them (who knows)
(C/229) Highway
(C/229) Highway
Captain
Company Commander
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Highway Sat 25 Jun 2016, 09:16

So the more I fly, the more comfortable I get with the Oculus and DCS 2.0.

Most of the blurryness has gone (at least from my perception), I'm not feeling in the slightest nauseous, the only negatives that I can really come up with are that my cheekbones are starting to ache a little after a good few hours of flying, and I have to drink my tea with a straw Wink

Hovering is so much easier. All the subtle little movements can be detected by your depth perception before they get out of control and corrected as such. Flying is generally a LOT more satisfying, especially NOE. Landing is equally a doddle, and I find decelerating into an LZ soooo much easier.

Biggest issue that I thought that I would encounter was with the flex sight and how it interprets the focus, but I found it to work perfectly for me and my eyes naturally looked right through it at the target and I put a couple of rockets on it as well as usual, so no problems there.

I have found that DCS crashes when I exit a multiplayer session, EVERY time which is a little tiresome as you can't tell with the Rift on. The first few times it happened I just sat there like a donkey waiting for it to go back to the menu until I eventually lifted it to see the dreaded 'DCS has stopped working' box on the screen.

I've also removed the headphones from the Oculus and gone back to using my G-930. There is nothing wrong with them, in fact I actually like them and the built in Mic, except that when you're not using it you have to take it off, and when you do that, you can't chat on TS...

I wish there was a way that I could post up some video to somehow show you what I'm seeing, but there is simply no way to show you the depth perception, it's something that you have to experience and I warn you that once you do, there is no going back. At least there isn't for me.

I read that the next patch will remove the annoying rectangle that sits front and centre in your field of view. I CAN NOT WAIT FOR THAT!
(C/229) Highway
(C/229) Highway
Captain
Company Commander
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) evilivan Sat 25 Jun 2016, 09:53

This is the review I've been waiting for.... thanks very much for taking time to post that, Highwayman.

Looks like it might turn out to be an expensive year.

(B/229) evilivan
Second Lieutenant
Unit Training Officer
Rated Senior Aviator
Second Lieutenant Unit Training Officer Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (D/229) Xtra Sat 25 Jun 2016, 11:34

Pffff Im gonna put a black bar over this thread. Must resist must resist....
(D/229) Xtra
(D/229) Xtra
Major
Company Commander
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Major Company Commander Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Highway Sat 25 Jun 2016, 12:47

I've gotta say guys, the more time I spend in the rift, the more I love it.

I've spent over 5 hours with the headset on today and it gets better and better... Aussie and I just spent 45 minutes flying around Nevada at dusk in the Mirage and were blown away, again.

We had some pretty hard manoeuvring at some points and it's the closest I came to feeling nauseous was as we twisted down from 20,000ft at 600kmph plus straining to look over my shoulder and keep Aussie in view. The feeling in your gut of the ground rushing up to meet you is insane.

As dusk is approaching I'm really looking forward to getting my first DCS night flight in with the Oculus.
(C/229) Highway
(C/229) Highway
Captain
Company Commander
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (D/229) Hammer Sat 25 Jun 2016, 20:07

Hey Highway, theres a toolkit you can use to crank up the pixel count in your headset and that will help with the blurry vision.
ovr_sdk_win_1.4.0_public
Ill post the dropbox link for it in a sec.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vchb1htuv2yskpi/Oculus%20SDK.zip?dl=0
Navigate to the tools folder, click on the Oculus Debug tool, and select the Pixels per Display override. Enter a value greater than 1, no greater than 2.5 if you want to keep good fps. And yes, you should keep it open while you use it....thats the only drawback.
(D/229) Hammer
(D/229) Hammer
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Highway Sun 26 Jun 2016, 04:21

I get what you were talking about with 1.5.3... I won't be flying in it. The ground clutter is horrible, but even after disabling that, my frame rates were like a yoyo flying the Gazelle around the 'Improve your piloting skill' course. When it was smooth it was actually quite nice, but when the stutters kicked in... No

Same fps and behaviour by the way with terrain mods and without, and without it looks pretty crappy around the towns.
(C/229) Highway
(C/229) Highway
Captain
Company Commander
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (D/229) Hammer Sun 26 Jun 2016, 12:19

They had an update for the 1.5 beta yesterday that introduced VR settings, I might give it a shot today. I doubt it will be any better than it was but I will hold out a shred of hope...
(D/229) Hammer
(D/229) Hammer
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content